50mm lens louder than expected

Turtlespd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased a used 50mm AF 1.4D lens online and shocked at how loud the AF actually is. I also notice on manual mode there is a slight clicking noise when focusing. Are all these things normal on this lens? I thought purchasing an older model would a cheap alternative to the more expensive afs lenses but at what cost. Please, your thoughts.

Paul

That is pretty much par for the course. The clicking might be the discrete, individual focus corrections this lens makes...a lot of Nikkor screw driver focusing lenses make a kind of ticking sound as they micro-adjust the focusing as the camera is moved around, or as a subject moves. This is one of the reasons Nikon named its high tech AF motor AF-S, which is spelled out on the underneath side of AF-S lenses, "Auto Focusing Silent Wave".

Remember, the 50mm 1.4 AF hit the market in 1986. If you're not familiar with AF or AF-D Nikkor lenses, the sounds the focusing system makes when using them might seem strange to you.

If you need a silent focusing 50mm, you'll need one that has an in-lens motor.

Thanks, Darrel

I been using older manual lenses for some time so this AF-D line is new to me and i never even looked at newer lenses in the past. The Af-s is crazy silent and i guess ill just have to fork up the cash cause i really do need almost silent when shooting . I guess i expected a little more out of the AF-D and should of expected less, especially now that i know it is 86 technology.

Actually, the AF 50mm f/1.4D has been manufactured only since 1995 and is still manufactured today. Derrel is referring to the AF 50mm f/1.4 (not the D version), which was Nikon's first auto-focusing 50mm f/1.4 lens. It was introduced in 1986.

I have the AF 50mm f/1.4D and it is excellent. But if you need silent focusing, then yes, you'll have to get the AF-S version. However, optically the AF-D and AF-S are nearly identical.

My guess is that you've only used af-s lenses before, af lenses use the motor inside your camera body and make a lot more noise.

If that's not it, and it's loud compared to other af lenses then, that's a bit strange--you may want to return it; it's not a cheap lens you want to make sure you get a good copy.

I got a chance to use a 50mm G lens this past Saturday night, actually - great lens, great quality, focuses silently - but not worth the $500. If you really need silent focusing, OK, but for most uses, it doesn't make a difference since the noisy focusing really isn't that noisy IMO.

Now, I'll admit that I prefer manual focusing with my primes - I often find myself fighting the AF because I can't be arsed to change the focus point. And this is where I really prefer my AF-D version - on MF, the focusing is unbelievably loose. It responds to the slightest touch and I can focus from near to far very quickly. Unfortunately, Nikon built in a dampener (perhaps necessary because of the SWM) into the G version that basically puts in a maximum speed with which you can turn the focusing dial, and it continues to turn even after you've focused to the maximum or minimum distance that the lens focuses too (whereas the mechanical AF-D focus dial stops when you hit infinity or minimum focus). When focusing by feel, this slows you down when you try to pre-set minimum focus distance because you have to look at the barrel and see where the focus is. I absolutely hate it.

So, at least for my shooting style, I would recommend you stick with your D version. It's half as expensive as the G version and IMO it handles much better. See if you have a friend with the G version or if a store near you has a floor copy so you can see for yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back