50mm Lens?

Reaction score
I want to upgrade from my poor quality stock lens. So would a 50mm be a good first good lenses? While it shoot all types of photographs?

A fast 50mm prime is definately a good lens to have in your bag. You might find it a little long indoors (assuming your camera has a "crop" sensor), but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting one.

I have a Reble 2000. I don't know what a crop sensor is.v But I want this I guess [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225143334&sr=8-1[/ame]

Oh, OK - 35mm, don't worry about crop sensors then - no such thing with film.

That lens should be fine for you, and for the price there isn't really any reason not to get it.

humm .... the 50mm F/1.8 lens .... all I can say is ..... ....

Get it and Enjoy it.;)

The lens is not the sharpest and best lens in the world, but it is the BEST price per performance lens you can get, period.

- no such thing with film.

APS-C was originally a film format. Film always had a "crop factor" but we used the term "format". I guess they decided that it would be confusing since "format" has a different meaning when it comes to memory devices.

Yep, the 50mm f/1.8 is a great little lens, and a nice accompaniment to your kit lens. It allows you to shoot indoors at acceptable shutter speeds, and outdoors with FAST shutter speeds. It also gives you a very thin depth of field for portraits and possibly some flower close-ups.

However, this lens does not "shoot all types of photographs". As a matter of fact, no lens does, or ever will apart from a 10-500mm f/1.4 lens (which, might I add, doesn't exist and never will ;)). In order to cover all circunstances, you'll probably need 4 lenses minimum: A standard zoom, like a kit 28-70mm lens (for film; 18-55 digital), a telephoto like a 70-300, an ultra-wide lens like a 12-24 (or something in that range) and, of course, the 50mm f/1.8.

i had the 50mm 1.8 and i loved it. its very cheap too! only thing i didn't like was the cheap built quality. just don't drop the lens! i prefer the nikon 50mm 1.8D over the canon version, but you have a canon camera.

Amazon has amazing prices, I just wish they shipped to Canada
Isn't there any camera stores up there where you don't have to pay duty, or whatever taxes you have? I may be wrong, but that seems to be the cheapest way to go.

APS-C was originally a film format. Film always had a "crop factor" but we used the term "format". I guess they decided that it would be confusing since "format" has a different meaning when it comes to memory devices.

I know, but how many SLRs are there that use APS-C film? Only one that I can think of; I'm sure there are more, but it's nowhere near being common.

By "film" I meant 35mm... I know that 35mm is not the only film there is, but it is the only one that pertains to this thread.

Amazon has amazing prices, I just wish they shipped to Canada

I am pretty sure that Amazon.com does ship to Canada,but like a previous poster said,why dont you just buy it in Montreal so that you wont have to pay duty on the lens.

I saw the lens available at Astral Photo for $129.99

Most reactions

Back