50mm Nikkor question.

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the diffrence between the 1.4G and the 1.4D? Also anyone care to explain why 1.4 is better then 1.8? Sorry for the simple question as I don't know much about "prime" (I think that is the right word) lenses. :D

Thanks

The "G" does not have an aperture ring, and a distance gauge, the "D" does. The 1.4 VS 1.8 is the amount of light allowed in the lens, the 1.4 allowing more in. The 1.4 is considered a "pro" lens and is very good, but the 1.8 is no slouch and considered by many the best bang for the buck. The 1.8 is sometimes called the nifty 50, and is held with great regard.

The "G" does not have an aperture ring, and a distance gauge, the "D" does. ...

Not completely correct

True, the G lenses do not have f/stop rings; their apertures are controled from the camera body only. What's incorrect is that G lenses do have all of the signaling present in an AF-D lens, including the distance signaling that distinguishes the AF-D lenses from the previous generation of non-D lenses.

The older 50mm f/1.4 AF-D lens does not have its own focusing motor. The new G version is actually an AF-S lens, "AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G", with its own "Silent Wave" focusing motor allowing it for autofocus and all of the current and recent Nikons. Its optical design is quite difference from that of the older lens. The old AF-D lens focused by moving all of the elements in unison. The new design focuses moving only some of the elements and the barrel is designed so that the front filter ring does not move at all when focusing.

the 1.8 is a great budget lens.

people get the 1.4D for bragging rights, and the extra 2/3rds of a stop.

people get the 1.4G for bragging rights, the extra 2/3rds of a stop, AF-S, better sharpness (especially at wider f/stops), lens hood, and overall better handling.

Most reactions

Back