50mm or 35mm (f1.8) FOR D3400?

lgc1004

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently got a Nikon D3400 for christmas and I was interested in getting a nice cheap lens aside from the kit lenses. I came down to the nikon 50mm 1.8 and the 35mm 1.8 however I'm still not entirely sure about the role the DX and FX frames play in the lens. Would I be wasting money to buy a FX lens for my DX body (D3400)?

I'm completely new to photography so any advice will help!

The 35mm lens will be equivalent to a normal lens and the 50 will be equivalent to a modest telephoto lens. Either will work fine.

Both are nice lenses for your camera. For everyday carry, I'd probably choose the 35mm. When I was using a crop camera, I found the 50mm's field of view was too narrow to carry as my only lens, although it does work as a cheap solution for portraits on a DX camera.

I'm still not entirely sure about the role the DX and FX frames play in the lens.
Very little. With your DX camera, the simplest plan is to use both or either. It literally makes no difference in how the camera operates. Even with an FX camera, the user can simply switch the camera to DX mode, and shoot away. Or he wouldn't even have to do that if he will adjust the final crop on the computer later. What difference there is can be summarized in the field of view between the two lenses. The smaller DX sensor will take its capture out of the middle of the image circle, and the FX sensor will utilize more of the image circle.

In your case, since it makes no difference, and both lenses are within spitting distance of the same price, you should select the one that gives you the field of view that you will get the most use out of. Think of it this way; what is your usual subject, and at what distance do you normally shoot? The 35mm will be wider, and the 50 will be longer. Use your existing zoom lens to judge the focal length(s) that you use the most, and get the lens that fits that criteria best.

The good news is that both are sharp, fast, cheap, and lightweight, so you can't go really wrong with either one.

Have fun!

MOST of Nikon's lenses are FX-capable. So, if you want a specific prime lens, there are mostly FX lenses. Nikon 50mm and 85mm FX lenses are nice! Well worth the cost! Read Designer's post above for the straight scoop.

35 will give you best generalnpurpose field of view

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

35 will give you best generalnpurpose field of view

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Yes, a 35mm lens is like a 52.5mm lens's angular field of view when using a 135 format camera; the 50mm lens would be like having a short, 75mm telephoto lens on a 135 format camera. Take the real, actual focal length of the lens and multiply that length by 1.5 (1.52 or so if you want more precision) and that givs the "135 Format equivalent view" that any lens length yields on a DX-sensor Nikon.

Get the 50mm. It was my first lens for my Nikon D5100 and it was one of the most solid investments I ever made.

It's called the "nifty fifty" for a reason.

It will also be better at getting that out of focus background.

Last edited:
Get the 35mm! Don't even think about it, just get it! You'll love it.

I take it that you have the 18-55 kit lens, so why don't you set your lens to 35mm and 50mm and see which focal length you'd like more.

Both good

35mm for landscape and general use and full body portrait
50mm for general use, any kind of portrait including head shots, less usefull for landscape

35mm is a DX lens, 50mm is FX
If in the future you will decide to get an FX camera you will be able to keep the 50mm, the 35mm will not be recommended for FX

put your kit lens on your camera and set it to 35mm. That is what the 35mm 1.8 prime will look like with the exception of it being several stops faster with a shallower DoF at those larger stops. Now set it to 50mm, that is what a 50mm 1.8 will look like.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful!

Will one produce a better bokeh over the other?

Will one produce a better bokeh over the other?
If you are referring to the background blur, then yes.

If you pay attention to the factors that affect the out-of-focus effect incorrectly called "Bokeh", then you know that the longer of the two will give you better blur. Get the 50mm. You will not be sorry.

Most reactions

Back