50mm prime lens help

Gazman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Looking for a bit of guidance.

I`m looking to get a 50mm prime lens form my canon 400d.
I notice there are a few 50mm lens knocking about varying in price and i`m unsure which is the one best for me.

At the moment i only have the crappy kit lens 18-55mm and although i want to upgrade, i don`t use my camera nearly enough at the moment to justify spending hundreds of pounds on a piece of kit.

I`m hoping to try and get into it more in the future, but for now i just want a decent lens for when i go away soon with my family.

Is this lens the "nifty fifty" i`ve heard plenty about
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50mm-1-8-Lens/dp/B00005K47X"]Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

Yes, that is the standard 50mm lens.

You really cannot go wrong with it in terms of image quality and low light capability.

The f/1.8 is good but I recommend the f/1.4 because of the quality. I've been through a few 1.8's because it's plastic. If you drop it once a few feet or so then it's done. If you've got the money for the 1.4 then get that. You'll lvoe it.

The f/1.8 is good but I recommend the f/1.4 because of the quality. I've been through a few 1.8's because it's plastic. If you drop it once a few feet or so then it's done. If you've got the money for the 1.4 then get that. You'll lvoe it.

So does that mean you've dropped a 1.4 as a comparison in build quality?

I have the 50mm f1.8 Mk I ... it's built better than the newer plastic Mk II version, but it will cost you a bit more on ebay than a new Mk II (but nowhere near as much as the f1.4).

BTW, I love the lens.

If you drop it once a few feet or so then it's done. If you've got the money for the 1.4 then get that. You'll lvoe it.
I have a 1.4 and I don't think I would want to drop it. As a matter of fact, I don't think I would want to drop any of my L lenses either, but they are more sturdy. The 1.4 is made of plastic just like the 1.8. I would say it's a little better built, but it's not a tank by comparison.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back