52 Week Photography Project 2018,WEEK 4 Creative: Quiet Moment Peace. Serenity. Tranquility. Convey

Are you guys just doing the challenge here or on the Facebook group too?

I'm on the Facebook group, too. I took a photo today for one of my ideas, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be the keeper this week.

are we talking TPF's FB group? Has there even been a post there in over a year?

No, we're referring to the Dogwood Photography 52 Week Challenge group. There is a link to it in the OP I believe.

It's huge...like 4-5k members, and had something like 500 photos (maybe more, IDK) posted this week, haha.

There is a second group called Dogwood Chatter for discussion of the weekly themes and to post for feedback before posting to the official album. Nice group of people so far.

ahhhhh. I wanted to get in on week 1, but it was too cold outside :p

No penalty for late entries. Get off your duff and shoot!

I wish the challenge had saved color harmonies for Spring or Summer. It would be so easy to get to pop over to my neighbor's flower garden or head to the beach for sunrise and I'd be done. Going to have to look at the wheel again and see what might work indoors since the outdoors is completely white and won't be melting for quite a while.

Did you see the one with the oil and water drops - purple and yellow? That came out fabulous. Also there was a great one of water drops and candy with the kids face showing in the drops. Very cool stuff.

I wish the challenge had saved color harmonies for Spring or Summer. It would be so easy to get to pop over to my neighbor's flower garden or head to the beach for sunrise and I'd be done. Going to have to look at the wheel again and see what might work indoors since the outdoors is completely white and won't be melting for quite a while.

Did you see the one with the oil and water drops - purple and yellow? That came out fabulous. Also there was a great one of water drops and candy with the kids face showing in the drops. Very cool stuff.

Purple and yellow were the colors I had in mind, too. The flowers literally were wilting while I was trying to shoot them yesterday so I gave up.

I'll have to take another look too and see what I can come up with. It seemed like a lot of people came back to themes in last year's challenge as well, so that might be an option.

Purple and yellow were the colors I had in mind, too. The flowers literally were wilting while I was trying to shoot them yesterday so I gave up.

I'll have to take another look too and see what I can come up with. It seemed like a lot of people came back to themes in last year's challenge as well, so that might be an option.

Trader Joe's always has the freshest flowers - and cheap too! They get them delivered every morning. I buy most of my stuff there. Bought a beautiful centerpiece there with all white flowers and pine cones and greenery 5 days before Christmas and it lasted over 2 weeks. We were all amazed - my Mom assumed I had bought another one.

That's a cool idea. Unfortunately, my wife cursed my ignorance to such matters and chucked the flower stems and the petals. Yes...separately, because by about 4 hours after I got home, all of the petals had fallen off, haha.
Um, that means she has to be the photo subject, right?

By the by...I notice someone who has been very active in posting photos in the galleries from their trip, but hasn't managed to post any in this challenge... :aufsmaul:
You're not referring to a a particular bear, are you?

Trader Joe's always has the freshest flowers - and cheap too! They get them delivered every morning. I buy most of my stuff there. Bought a beautiful centerpiece there with all white flowers and pine cones and greenery 5 days before Christmas and it lasted over 2 weeks. We were all amazed - my Mom assumed I had bought another one.
Michaels - silk and plastic are perfect for winter.

You picked one of the two large chain stores (Costco being the other one) that we seem to live in the Bermuda triangle for. Trader Joe's is about 50 minutes away in Warwick, RI, about 50 minutes away in West Hartford, and about 50 minutes away in Orange, CT.

I got the flowers from Stop and Shop. We usually have great luck with them, but I did have to carry them outside yesterday in the wind and cold. They weren't protected the way they would have been from a real florist (or if the florist had actually been in at S+S).

That's a cool idea. Unfortunately, my wife cursed my ignorance to such matters and chucked the flower stems and the petals. Yes...separately, because by about 4 hours after I got home, all of the petals had fallen off, haha.
Um, that means she has to be the photo subject, right?

By the by...I notice someone who has been very active in posting photos in the galleries from their trip, but hasn't managed to post any in this challenge... :aufsmaul:
You're not referring to a a particular bear, are you?

Nah, cursed my ignorance because I bought flowers out on a single-digit temp and windy day. And no...I quoted the intended recipient, haha.

You picked one of the two large chain stores (Costco being the other one) that we seem to live in the Bermuda triangle for. Trader Joe's is about 50 minutes away in Warwick, RI, about 50 minutes away in West Hartford, and about 50 minutes away in Orange, CT.

I got the flowers from Stop and Shop. We usually have great luck with them, but I did have to carry them outside yesterday in the wind and cold. They weren't protected the way they would have been from a real florist (or if the florist had actually been in at S+S).

That's a bummer about TJ's - easily one of my favorite places to grocery shop. Anything I can't get there I get at S+S.

Even without the frozen temps, flowers are always hit or miss at this time of year. One trick is to buy them potted instead of fresh cut. There should be potted tulips and daffodils hitting the stores soon and until then there are always houseplants like African Violets, Hibiscus and Begonia.

My latest idea for this challenge - using ICM to create an abstract "landscape" hasn't really panned out. The light is just too dull and gray today. Going to try something else tomorrow.

@JonA_CT you shamed me into one. Here's technically a warm & cool scene combined composed of Blue, Red, Yellow and Green. It forms a "Square Color Theme" of equally spaced colors on the wheel. Blue being the dominant color of the scene. I would have preferred a better shot but it was so &^%^^ cold out there I had to grab it and run

St. Augustine01062018_870.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Though not recent here's a "Complementary", (red & green). I really wanted to find this guy, but he was no where around this trip. This was from January 2014, and was the look I got after I mistakenly called him a pirate. I was promptly informed that he was a garrison guard. I seriously thought the guy was going to kick my *&^, as they take their enactment and character very seriously and I had ignorantly committed a grave sin worthy of a butt whippen. Considering the size of this monster of a man, I'm glad he chose to pose for me instead, though he NEVER smiled, and I quickly took leave of his presence. :aiwebs_016:

IMGP0656.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Good day, fellow photographers!

I posted some musings about a 52 Week Photography Project here -- 365 Project? No way. But... -- and this thread is an "official" off shoot of that thread to post themes and photos. Unless things go crazy, I'd expect this thread to be fine for the entire project, but who knows.

I've decided to use the Dogwood Photography prompts -- their website. 52 Week Photography Challenge for 2018 by Dogwood Photography

THE CHALLENGE LIST
WEEK 1 Vision: Look Ahead New year. New beginnings. New you. Look ahead. Interpret as you wish.
[b}WEEK 2 Composition: Color Harmony Get out your color wheel. Do opposites attract? Can there be harmony with opposite colors? Does the Hulk wear purple pants? Mix warm and cool colors.[/b]
WEEK 3 Technical: Full Manual While the camera often determines shutter speed and aperture for the photographer, it doesn't know your creative intent. This week, challenge your self to assume creative control over the camera by using full manual mode. Select a subject where varying the aperture and / or shutter speed helps enhance the composition and visual qualities of the image.
WEEK 4 Creative: Quiet Moment Peace. Serenity. Tranquility. Convey a quiet moment.
WEEK 5 Wildcard: Photographer's Choice Capture an image on your terms; who, what, where, when, why, how … it's all up to you. Caveat: You must tell us your intent.
WEEK 6 Vision: Alternating Rhythm Alternate patterns of light to bring depth and rhythm to the photograph.
WEEK 7 Composition: Fill the Frame Fill the frame with your subject, no background. You will need to get up close and personal, or use a good zoom lens.
WEEK 8 Technical: Zoom Burst By changing the focal length during long exposure you can add movement to your frame, producing leading lines within your frame.
WEEK 9 Creative: Forsaken Abandoned and Forgotten were favorites in the past. Let's revisit the idea the idea this year with forsaken.
WEEK 10 Vision: Selective Color I know, I know. Yuck. Selective color can be cringeworthy, however, when done right, it brings compelling focus to the subject.
WEEK 11 Composition: Negative Space Minimize the composition to isolate your subject. The composition should be simple, thereby drawing your viewer to the subject.
WEEK 12 Technical: Macro Life is in the details. Get in close and show us the details we usually miss. You don't need a macro lens to shoot a macro shot.
WEEK 13 Creative: Leading Lines Back by popular demand, use lines to lead the viewer to your subject.
WEEK 14 Vision: Diptych or Triptych Connect 2 or 3 images together, creating one image, to provoke a thought or tell a story.
WEEK 15 Composition: Rule of Space Your subject should be facing the frame, walking into the frame, this keeps your subject "in" the frame and engaging with it. Give your subject room to move.
WEEK 16 Technical: Portrait Lighting Whether Butterfly, Rembrandt, Split, or Loop Lighting, choose the technique which best flatters your subject.
WEEK 17 Creative: Humor Laughter is the best medicine. Make us laugh.
WEEK 18 Wildcard: Photographer's Choice Capture an image on your terms; who, what, where, when, why, how … it's all up to you. Caveat: You must tell us your intent.
WEEK 19 Vision: Edge Cut Sun Having an edge cut through the sun looks nice, or having the sun rising over a line or diagonal within the photo. Stop down the aperture to create a starburst.
WEEK 20 Composition: From Below Get down low; below 2 feet, and change your perspective. Look out or look up.
WEEK 21 Technical: Product Imagine your image in a catalog or a magazine. It's not as easy as it sounds.
WEEK 22 Creative: Door A symbol of transition, a door or a gate provide a passage way.
WEEK 23 Vision: No Peeking Shoot as if you were using a film camera. That means that you will not look at the photographs you've taken until they are downloaded on your computer.
WEEK 24 Composition: Contrast An easy way to make a photo more interesting is to introduce some form of stark contrast: liquid/solid, hard/soft, delicate/brash.
WEEK 25 Technical: Starburst Create a very strong focal point and add an entirely new dimension of interest to your image using a starburst.
WEEK 26 Creative: High or Low Key You don't have to do both this year; choose your favorite and shoot that.
WEEK 27 Vision: Flattery They say imitation is the highest form; so, past or present; choose your favorite master photographer and imitate their art or technique.
WEEK 28 Composition: Left to Right Rule Compose an image in the way we read; most countries read from left to right. Compose your shot to follow this direction.
WEEK 29 Technical: Twilight Zone While golden and blue hours bring beautiful lighting, shooting in twilight opens up a new way of seeing the world. Capture a "scape" that isn't dominated by darkness. Show the light and textures that can be found under the stars, in city lights, or a moon filled sky.
WEEK 30 Creative: Circles The circle is a universal symbol with extensive meaning; it represents the notions of totality.
WEEK 31 Wildcard: Photographer's Choice Capture an image on your terms; who, what, where, when, why, how … it's all up to you. Caveat: You must tell us your intent.
WEEK 32 Vision: The Alphabet Alphabet photography involves taking photographs of existing or created objects to create a word.
WEEK 33 Composition: Figure to Ground If camouflage is designed to make things disappear, Figure to Ground is designed to make the subject stand out. Light on dark, dark on light.
WEEK 34 Technical: The Wild Side Capturing a captivating wildlife photograph requires knowledge of your camera settings and the behavior of the animal. Capture a compelling wildlife photograph that has proper subject alignment (e.g., no "bird butts") and exposure. For an easy introduction, urban critters (e.g., squirrels) are easy targets. For an advanced challenge, a bird in flight could be considered.
WEEK 35 Creative: Loneliness One is the loneliest number.
WEEK 36 Vision: Ordinary Find beauty in the ordinary.
WEEK 37 Composition: Eye Lines Eyes draw attention to certain parts of the frame, your subject will direct your audience's eye. Where is your subject looking? What are they seeing or not seeing?
WEEK 38 Technical: Focus Stacking A technique which combines multiple images taken at different focus distances to give a resulting image with a greater depth of field. Especially helpful in macro.
WEEK 39 Creative: Abstract Photograph a common object in an abstract manor.
WEEK 40 Vision: Classic Novel Create an image that identifies a classic novel or story.
WEEK 41 Composition: Rule of Odds Compose and image highlighting an odd number of subjects; some see this as natural and more pleasing to the eye.
WEEK 42 Technical: Shutter Drag Used to balance fill light with ambient light or add motion-blur to images.
WEEK 43 Creative: A Song Create a photo from the title of a song.
WEEK 44 Wildcard: Photographer's Choice Capture an image on your terms; who, what, where, when, why, how … it's all up to you. Caveat: You must tell us your intent.
WEEK 45 Vision: Show Half Tell a complete story by only showing half of it.
WEEK 46 Composition: Golden Triangles A diagonal line divides the frame from corner to corner, two more lines are added from the other corners, intersecting the diagonal line.
WEEK 47 Technical: Step Back Edit your image to where you think it's perfect and let it sit for two days. Then return to it and see if it works. Print a picture and review it from a different perspective before finalizing.
WEEK 48 Creative: Split Tones Another favorite; last year's technical, is this year's creative. Have fun with it.
WEEK 49 Vision: Look Back We need to look back to see how far we've come. If you were Captain Ahab, which skill would be your whale? Post a comparison.
WEEK 50 Composition: Golden Ratio Often called Fibonacci, the spiral leads the viewers eye to the squares (the subject), compose your image using the Golden Ratio.
WEEK 51 Technical: Exposure Compensation While high dynamic range pictures can help capture challenging lighting situations, there are times when you need a single frame. Use exposure compensation mode on your camera to capture backlit or other challenging lighting situations
WEEK 52 Creative: Self Portrait Not popular, but it's good for us to get on the other side of the lens. This year it's in a creative categroy, so be creative.

The following members exhibited their interest in the previous thread:
@Destin
@snowbear
@adamhiram
@jcdeboever
@Gary A.
@SquarePeg

I'd also like to throw the challenge out to a few more regulars...

@smoke665
@waday
@limr (c'mon...use your Pentax digital camera, the water is fine ;) )
@Dean_Gretsch
@Braineack
@nerwin
@Peeb
@gk fotografie
@Frank F.
@Derrel
(Not a complete list...feel free to call out some other members! And no pressure to those called out -- I won't take it personally if you tell me where I can stuff this idea ;) )

Anyways, everyone should feel welcome to join.

I can't wait to see what y'all post!

I just see this. Interesting. I run a no theme daily with some friends on Nikongear since 2016 ... Seems to dry out over time ... Theme and once a week seems doable. I try to contribute once in a while. Thanks for the invitation

I forgot to post the first week. So here is my second week. Color Harmony

Recovery
recovery.jpg

Tentative entry for color harmony week. What do you think?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back