52 Weeks of Portraits

you need paper towels

And dish detergent. I need to start a shopping list.

Agreed! The hammer was a stretch, but the only thing that I could come up with!

I also agree with the WB (I noted the skin-tones being off) and I really like your analogy to old painted portraits!

The hammer was laying on the island and I figured it would make a nice touch. A good way to ward off anyone trying to get to the vodka; I mean you don't want to dirty a good knife.

I messed up with the WB. I shot for flash, but Canon's flash WB shoots a little warm to compensate for their cooler flash colors, I think most DLSRs do according to Mr. Hobby said so. The AB is a bit warm anyways, so it almost ended up looking like it was set for daylight and shot in tungsten. When I adjust WBs, I tend to bring them a bit to the cool side anyways. That with a touch of desaturation really did it.

I shot this weeks photo last night. I can't wait to see what everyone says based on how I shot it. I met up with a friend, broke out a camera and a light, took three test shots, one mis fire, one botched attempt, and one spot on attempt. About 10 minutes. I went in with what I wanted in my head and got it done.

That tends to be my approach as well. I see something in my head and I capture it. Or I see something with my eye and in my head I see how I want to capture it and do. My best friend is an amazing photographer as well, but her approach is to shoot it a million different ways, trying a million different things and then looks at them in post to see what she likes. She gets amazing results, but she'll walk away from a photography outing with literally HUNDREDS of shots. I'll walk away from the same outing with fifty.

So... different strokes for different folks. Personally, I like your approach.

Week 2.

This is my friend Donnie. I had a friends who needed to go to Hagerstown which is about 20 minutes from where I live and Donnie, who volunteered for week 2, lives in Hagerstown. I got the idea for this shot almost immediately and called him hoping that he would be free. He was. I met up with him and the photo took about 10 minutes from getting the equipment out, taking 3-4 test snaps, and then getting this final shot. I wanted to do this quickly (not just because of the 25 degree weather) because not all shoots I'll have an opportunity to do will give me all the time in the world. I was thinking of it as a good exercise and the reason I wanted to do this 52 week project in the first place.

Editing was fairly straight forward. Curves, Highlight & Shadows, Contrast, USM, and a few other minor adjustments. Anyways, C&C away; that's what this is here for, right?

I REALLY dig this one. Composition's solid. Lighting really works. Love the lines and shapes and textures. And the yellow hoodie makes the shot. I like his goofy expression, too. Little more space above the head would have been nice, but it doesn't diminish the shot's effectiveness for me.

Good work, I like the idea...52. Now are you gonna always shoot on the same day(ie: mondays)? You know 365 is one a day, 52 one a week...spaced out evenly?

I agree... i like the 52 project idea... there's no way I could ever keep up with a 365... I wish I had the time but there's no way... kudos to those that are able to keep up a 365...

Thanks for sharing, I might try a 52 week project, great idea!

Week 3. There's nothing really speshul about this photo except for the people in it. It's one light with an umbrella, that's it. The two girls are friends of mine. They're goofy like this all the time. I ordered hot shoe adapters for my 430EX's on Friday, so I'm going to have a lot more light to play around with next week. One of my vivitars died on me and I just haven't had a chance to get the adapters until now.

Looks like your having a lot of doing this project. Week 2 was great! I like the idea of just doing some really fun carefree shoots. Thanks for sharing

Week 4 - Me, doing what I do best on Sundays.

One B800 with a Kacey Beauty dish to the right. There's a blown area infront of the TV, but I think this is probably about the best I could get this scene without multiple exposures. The TV is exposed properly along with most of the scene; there's just a small portion that's blown from the light spilling throught the screen doors.

Ok, I'm calling you out. If I hadn't seen the first two, which I consider creative and technically well executed, I would ignore this. The last two are lazy. They're neither technically nor creatively interesting.

You can better. I am subscribing to this thread, I look forward to seeing more good work.

what are you hiding behind the cushions in the last photo?

I think this photo demonstrates better technical fundamentals than the last two, which had some weird-looking highlights. This shot has the TV image rendered very well,and while you've lost the highlights where the sun is streaming in, bridging the gap between a TV image (usually around f/8 at 1/15 second at ISO 400, or thereabouts) and brilliant incoming winter sunlight is handled pretty well in this instance.

I remember the days when there was only *one* remote. Then two 'motes...and now three or four or even five 'motes!

Sorry, behind with the snow and actually having photography work to attend to. I do have photos sitting on my drive and I'm working on it now.

Week 5. This is my neighbor Christine's son Holden. He likes Thomas the Train. I wanted to emphasize the table in front of him with the light, showing how kids can be so engrossed with their toys and their imaginations.

I like the framing of his head within the window frame in the background. I also like the colors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back