576 megapixels - Bahrain World Trade Center (WTC)

z|Fürstleur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just finished my Bahrain World Trade Center (WTC) shot, which is 500+ MP. To be exact, it's 576 MP, 32000x18000 without the border!

The large version is .tif, because at such resolutions, JPG starts struggling and would also have destroyed the gradient of the sky if not 100% quality, and then the difference in filesize was not much. So, enjoy real lossless compressed quality. ;)

Most viewers (ACDSee, IrfanView, XnView) fail to display the tif, probably because not be able to allocate more than 2GB of memory ("Old" 32-bit limitation). So use Photoshop, or if you've Vista you can also use the built in viewer "Windows Photo Gallery".

Hope you enjoy. :)

Btw, the WTC was not completely finished until then, so the front was still dirty and full of dust. I think I'll do it again one day, when it's finally finished and clean.

so this is a multi row pano then? If so, nicely done. But how come the palm trees are all tilted although they are on the same height as the camera? And how come that in contrast to the trees, the lamp post is pointing upwards at 90 degree? Is it a photo montage?

Thank you. ;)

The palms tilt, because of the perspective. I was just very near, because else there would be trees in the way. That's also why the building doesn't appear to be 240m height.

I rendered the lamp seperately and inserted it, so it's not tilted. But it's truly at this position in reality. :)

z|Fürstleur;1248425 said:
Thank you. ;)

The palms tilt, because of the perspective. I was just very near, because else there would be trees in the way. That's also why the building doesn't appear to be 240m height.

I rendered the lamp seperately and inserted it, so it's not tilted. But it's truly at this position in reality. :)

;)

But as for the palms, if it is a stitched from several images, if your rotational axis is perpendicular to the ground, the palm trees would not be tilted since when shooting that row of images where the trees are in, the optical axis would be parallel to the ground.

So this would be similar to a shift lens then.

Sorry for getting so technical

I really like this photo. The building is beautiful.

Shame about the plam trees as Alex said, but it's still a great photo.

Though if many people decide to download the half a gigabyte full-size, you are going to have some serious hosting bills to pay ;)

;)
...if your rotational axis is perpendicular to the ground, the palm trees would not be tilted since when shooting that row of images where the trees are in, the optical axis would be parallel to the ground.
If I wouldn't have adjusted the viewpoint of the projection for rendering the stitch, then yes. But I did, because else the top looked so stretched, because of the viewpoint just some meters in front of the building.

Sorry for getting so technical
No prob, most the time I'm also very technical. ;)

pm63 said:
Shame about the plam trees as Alex said, but it's still a great photo.
Thank all of you for your hints, I'll take all of them into consideration for the final shot of the Bahrain WTC and all my other upcoming projects.

Beside other views I'll do, because I'll have more time on the next visit, for this view I may render the lower part seperately and insert it by hand.

pm63 said:
Though if many people decide to download the half a gigabyte full-size, you are going to have some serious hosting bills to pay ;)
No problem at all, because it's on a 100Mbit Flat. ;) I can really recommand OVH, the hosting company. Already ordered a GBit server there and will move soon. So, *bring it on, guys*. :)

createnetwork said:
I really like the image as well, although the light pole on the left side is bothering me a bit.
Thank you, yes I really had a problem with the time. It got late and there were also a lot of cars on the street that I had to remove. This alone took me a lot of time.

But as it was not fully finished anyway, I didn't want to go there again the next day, but instead made the best out of it and already had my next visit in mind. :D

But after all, it was another great experience for me and my excess-resolution-photography and far better than my first, the Burj Dubai Tower. And for the next shot I'm smarter now. :)

At more than 30000px wide photoshop doesn't even let you save as a JPEG anymore. Infact photoshop pretty much doesn't let you save as anything other than a TIF.

It looks nice. May I suggest something like the google maps engine to display this? The google API is free and there's a free utility which will stitch a large image like this into google maps format to allow people to pan and zoom around the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back