580 EX Flash.. best place to buy?

SandShots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
looking to buy a 580 flash for my 40d.

anyone want to recommend a place to buy?
good price, shipping, and customer service is a plus.
thanks for the help.

amazon.com had the cheapest price recently on my 430EX and I've always been happy with their service -- just make sure it is coming from amazon and not one of the other vendors -- that way they will take responsibility for it and the postage will be free

amazon.com had the cheapest price recently on my 430EX and I've always been happy with their service -- just make sure it is coming from amazon and not one of the other vendors -- that way they will take responsibility for it and the postage will be free

how do you like the 430? working out for ya? what do you shoot?

Well, I wanted an off-camera flash for macros, etc. I usually shoot available light, but sometimes I just want a flash too (I just built a ringflash too).

Anyway, I love it. I am a relative newcomer -- sort of like Rip van Winkle because I had been a 35mm person for many years but out of photography entirely for about 15 years until last summer. Going from my old Vivitar 283 (which I still have and use) to the 430 was a quantum leap. I wrestled between this and the 580, but the cost difference didn't seem worth it to me at the moment and the 580 is considerably bigger/heavier. I didn't need it for a master, but when I decide I need that, I can buy a 580 and use the 430 as a slave.

I shoot a little bit of everything except formal portraiture.

I have bought lots from amazon and they haven't been a problem at all.

viv 283? i still have one. once in a while i'll use it with my 6x7 mamiya

I use B&H quite a bit and highly recommend them. Adorama is also highly recommended.

If you are going to purchase from either of those, please use the links at the top of the page...so that the forum can benefit as well.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Be careful with your 283 if you decide to use it with the 40D. It works fine with my 30D (no TTL, of course), but there is a risk of frying your camera with the trigger voltage. To protect the camera, I bought a Safe-Sync from Wein: http://www.amazon.com/Wein-SSHSHS-S...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218118884&sr=8-1

i dont use the 283 on the canon at all. buying the 580II today, found a great deal, i dont think anyone else will be able to beat it. i wish my 540ez from the film cameras would work but they dont.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I built a ring flash for macro around my 283 and I also use it as a slave. Since I bought the 430, I don't use the 283 on the camera anymore. It's a great flash, but recycle time is pretty darn slow and I also have grown to love TTL. The advantage is that I own the AC power adapter for the 283, so battery life is no issue if I'm indoors shooting macros.

well I just got home and guess what I picked up. Yep

580II Flash Unit. Looked around and found a killer deal that I could't pass up. $350.00 Brand new in the box with U.S. warranty. The next one I found still at a good price but sold out quick was $385.00 shipped and everywhere else nowhere under 425.00 after shipping. Im pumped up about this unit and now I got alot to read and practice, shooting with it tomorrow. Im out.

well I just got home and guess what I picked up. Yep

580II Flash Unit. Looked around and found a killer deal that I could't pass up. $350.00 Brand new in the box with U.S. warranty. The next one I found still at a good price but sold out quick was $385.00 shipped and everywhere else nowhere under 425.00 after shipping. Im pumped up about this unit and now I got alot to read and practice, shooting with it tomorrow. Im out.

Excellent! Enjoy! I probably would have bought that instead of the 430 if I had found that price.

Most reactions

Back