?5B

Picksure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please be honest.

7430d85e.jpg

blur the background, lose the border, and you have a great image. (you have a good one here, you just have to take off some of it's hindrances :))

The border is a matter of taste, I think. It was obviously chosen with care, as if it were to reflect the rusta nd enhance it. Therefore I think I can live with it.
The background seems blurred enough, if it weren't for the white lines that go with the green - the green as such does not distract from the rusting pole, the white lines do, though.
Light was much to your (and the rust colour's) favour. I appreciate that much, as well as the crispness of the pole.

thebeginning, thanks for the comments. I took a walk yesterday through "Kinsmen Park" yesterday which is full of nature and found these rusted light poles that just seemed out of place. I am not a "photographer" and critique will only help. I will post one without the border, after all, it is not the border that I am worried about.

ff76e6a2.jpg

and thank-you LaFoto, when I saw the light hitting this pole, AIRIC's early morning pics came to mind. It seems, from your comments, I did get the results I was looking for.
Come to think of it, the white lines are a branch and a split tree. Maybe trying to show how we(humans) can mess up nature, I should have had a little less blur?

Anybody else?

dunno what you want from it... I like it as it is... ok I don't like the border :) but the photo is simple but nice :)

mentos, I was trying to show how out of place the human elemant is with nature. Maybe this photo does a better job of it?

LaFoto, do you find the white lines are better worse or no different in this version??

d17bfccb.jpg

thanks again.

I love the color, but like said, maybe blur the background.

I agree, humans are out of touch with nature. (coming from someone who lives in the complete wilderness in northern michigan every summer)

Hmph, Picksure, with the second photo presented (less blurry background) you're putting me a difficult question. The sun doesn't hit the corroded light pole as much as it does in the first, so the colours don't come out that well. That is the one thing (and apparently the reason why at first you didn't put this photo up). Your idea of humanly made things against nature can be better understood through the second, however it feels like you still haven't quite achieved it.
Problem with me and my "critique" is that I am an amateur, just like you.
My "critique" is almost entirely emotional.
My feeling says: your idea of this rusting light pole as an alien element in an otherwise all natural surrounding will only come out if you let us see more of the surrounding.
The not-quite-so-blurred background helps a little. But I think I would then have wanted that pole to be a lefthand border, and the larger part to the right nature... blurred, but not so blurred (just like it is in the second photo!). You can't, however, just crop the second photo, for then it would be divided right into two halves, and that is not what I am thinking about, either!!! Aargh.. and this at 11 p.m....!

Thank-you all very much. I do tend to pay to little attention to my backgrounds. I am seeing much better use of light in my photos, and now know what my next step will be.

Ah, LaFoto, I dont mean to make it difficult for you :)
I do so love your responses on this site. I like comments from the heart, and you always put a smile on my face. Goodnite :) .

Most reactions

Back