5D / 7D Buying Considerations.

Rockford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am moving up from XTi,I understand the 5D's MII strong points are Landscapes, Portraits, and the 7D favors Action with excellent AF.

I really dont need the video aspect either offers.

I consider myself a enthusiast, and would like great quality shots, I also understand using the L lens is the way to go with either of these bodies.

I will be buyng the L lens desired, regardless of what body I purchase.

I do understand the great quality shots either will give coupled with the L lenses.
Is there a lesser model that would serve my needs. Perhaps the 50D. Or do I go with either of the two mentioned above. Ideally I would like all of the attributes of both , and I am sure others had the same thought. I guess that doesn't exist, unless you move all the way up to the D1
Perhaps what would be the best all around body. Short of buying both. Let me emphasize once more, I am just an enthusiast , with no plans to shoot weddings etc. Just my own pleasure.

Also, are there any post editing sofware issues with either of these bodies

Last edited:
I just got a 7D, and I would be quite surprised if it didn't suit all of your needs as an enthusiast.. The autofocus is amazing, spot on every time, and fast. Shoots up to 8fps so sports and movement would be a breeze, and it's 18 MP are jaw-dropping, although some argue for less pixels so you get less noise, but I'm yet to have a problem with noise (although I've only shot in ISO 800 or less so far, so that really doesn't mean much).

Sounds like money isn't much of an issue, but if you want to save money you won't by sacrificing much quality (My view through others' word, so take it with a grain of salt) by getting a 3rd party lens and saving up to $1000 ..

Personally, I would go for a 5D II over the 7D as I don't shoot sports or really have plans to. Either body can do successfully what the other is suited for, just that one will do it better than the other. Since you're shooting as a hobby/enthusiast I'd tell you go with the 7D. Its less expensive than the 5D. In terms of landscape shooting with the 7D, you'd be missing out on slightly wider shots with larger resolutions, but the reality is it's not a gigantic difference. Also should you choose to do sports shooting of some types, with the 7D in your possession you won't be wishing for the greater shooting capacity.

Thanks for all the great feed back.

DC do you have any 3 rd party lenses in particular that you would recommend.
I understand the tamron 10 24 wide angle is great for the price. Hope your enjoying and having fun with your new 7D Any more feed back on it. Lets see some Photos you snapped with it.

HikinMike your 5D classic shoots Spectacular Photos. I was admirning your work and skills. One of my favorite places is the Sierra's. What filters do you use when shooting landscapes. I also read somewhere that the 5D II or 7D cant remeber which one it was , there was problems with it being compatable with certain sofware editing programs, because of the high resolution, or something to that effect. .

Last edited:
HikinMike your 5D classic shoots Spectacular Photos. I was admirning your work and skills. One of my favorite places is the Sierra's. What filters do you use when shooting landscapes. I also read somewhere that the 5D II or 7D cant remeber which one it was , there was problems with it being compatable with certain sofware editing programs, because of the high resolution, or something to that effect. .

I haven't heard about a problem with software with either one.

I don't use any filters, not even one for protection. If I need to have a GND, I bracket several shots and hand-blend then using Layer Masks in CS2.

I recently purchased a CP, but I've only used it once. Here's the photo: Saint Catherine's Church

YOu might find the lens reviews on the following sight a good refrence:
Juza Nature Photography
Juza is typically quite even handed when comparing and reviewing lenses (ie he is not bias toward canon only products). There are some 3rd party lenses which give you pretty much just what the canon does just a bit cheaper - sigma and tamron macro lenses are good example as well as options like the sigma 10-20mm. Some others give you things that canon don't do whilst others are cheaper, but might lack in some small ways.

Good glass though is very important, and before upgrading your camera body I would upgrade your glass first - it iwll make a far bigger difference to your overall image quality and its also an enabling factor as well. A new camera body will only extend the conditions you can currently shoot in (eg improved ISO performance means you can shoot in darker conditions) whilst a new lens will enable you to capture new images that you otherwise might not be able to get (eg a macro lens lets you get macro shots).

Take some time to work out what subjects you enjoy and are likly to photograph and start to design your setup around that - rather than trying to work out what "the best" is and working backwards (since "the best" is highly bias based on what you want to shoot and how you shoot

edit - all new camera releases go through a breaking in phase where the software for editing is upgraded to work with the new cameras - this can often take some time and is stil going on after the camera is released in some cases. This means that there are early reports of problems with editing the results - but I belive now that the 7D and 5DM2 are fully compatable. The only thing that might be a problem is that each have larger image file sizes (a reflection of the increased MP of each camera) and so will put more strain on your computer. A highend computer should have no problem, whilst lower end ones will just be a bit slower. In addition it will put more pressure on your image storage setup as well. Of course this problem is far less if you only shoot in JPEG; but most enthusiasts shift to a RAW dominant workflow for the advantages that RAW image capture gives

All excellent advice Overread, and thank you for the linlk as well.

HikinMike, my family comes from western Pa, and I am disabelled, now all I need to do is learn how to shoot like you
I do like the B & W of the church very much.

Last edited:
If i had the option .... i would go with the 7d for its versatility and quality. Yes full frame will give you better images. But you will have limited choices for lenses and you MUST invest in good glass or the flaws are highlighted.

Buy a 7D body.
Invest in GREAT glass.
Enjoy shooting.

One thing i really love about the 7D is the feel and the control wheel are much better than the 5D.

wgp1987 - how are you limited with lenses on the 5D or the 5DM2 for that matter? Most (nearly all) of canons lineup are fullframe compatable lenses and the same is true of most 3rd party lenses as well. There are only a handfull of lenses for crop sensor only cameras (EFS lenses) and each of those have equivalent options in the fullframe world. So I don't see how it limits.

As for good glass the same is true of the 7D and also the 50D since with hte higher MP ratings of these newer cameras you need the top end glass

5DII ! Unbelievable image quality. If you can afford it, do it.

HikinMike, my family comes from western Pa, and I am disabelled, now all I need to do is learn how to shoot like you

How funny, two peas in a pod! Were about in PA?

As far as shooting as 'good' as me....I have a lot to learn, but three years ago I started posting photos to forums like this and it helped me a lot. In fact, I'm still learning. ;)

How funny, two peas in a pod! Were about in PA?

As far as shooting as 'good' as me....I have a lot to learn, but three years ago I started posting photos to forums like this and it helped me a lot. In fact, I'm still learning. ;)

Outskirks of Indiana

So thats means I have 3 yrs to catch up with you , then you will still be 3 yrs ahead of me.

Where would be a good place to keep a eye open for a used 5D other than the classified here.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back