5D II vs. 1Ds II vs. 1D III

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by David84, Sep 21, 2009.

1. David84

David84 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So obviously these are somewhat in a general price range used and/or new. Wanted to hear your thoughts on which you would choose and why??

I am not a sports shooter, so the 1D in that sense is not the best selling point for me.... but I would enjoy to shoot it every now and then for recreational purposes.

Thanks in advance,

David

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on the use. They are obviously all great cameras but suited to different shooting scenarios.

A big difference between the 5DII and the 1 series bodies is the build. The 1 series are bigger, heavier and more robust with high quality weather sealing. Also, they have much better AF than the 5D.

The 1Ds and the 5D are full frame while the 1D is a 1.3X crop. So if wide views are your thing, you'll probably prefer the full frame bodies...but if shooting sports is on your list, then it's hard to beat the 1D.

Of course, the 5DII shoots video while the others don't.

3. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot both the 1D3 and the 5D2. I mostly have the 5D2 in hand. I reach for the 1D when weather might be bad, when I am shooting something fast moving or where I might need vastly improved AF.

Generally, I can do everything I need to do with the 5D2. On the IQ side of things, you would be hard pressed to notice much of a difference between them.

It boils down to what you need from a body. Only you know what it is you like to shoot and how you shoot it.

4. David84

David84 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I appreciate both your replies! I have seen you both post on similar topics in the past, and I figured I would get this type of reply in the sense of "it depends on what you shoot".

I really enjoy shooting landscape, which I know any of these cameras would work wonderfully for. As I mentioned before, sports is not a big one for me, but the camera would also be used for some portraiture, people stuff, etc.

I currently rely on AF quite a bit for several reasons... First, I'm not that comfortable with my manual skills (although I do practice) :) Secondly, I usually shoot quickly as my subject is moving somewhat. If I were shooting off of a tripod, etc, I would feel comfortable with manual focus most of the time - especially landscape...

Does this help at all, make you lean towards a particular model?

Mike - I did not realize the 1d was a crop sensor.... I think that would narrow my choices down to the 5d II or the 1Ds II now....

Thanks,

David

5. David84

David84 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I've read, the 5D II has sub par AF, what is your experience??

6. FidelCastrovich

FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

I'm a proponent of going forward with the times, especially when technology is involved, so I'd stick with the 5D or the Mark III.
    Of course if you apsolutely MUST have the weather sealed body+A class focus+full frame and have a limited budget, then you only have one choice, it appears.
    But pound for pound, I prefer the 5D. And it's not like it has a horrible focus system, or anything even close to that.
    And i bet it won't disintegrate in poor weather. My beaten 30D has taken much worse than that, and it's still clicking.

7. FidelCastrovich

FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

If you're shooting birds or any kind of wild life for the NG, then by all means, feel free to diss the 5D's AF...
    But if you do people, even moving people:sexywink: and landscapes, then the 5D is exactly what you need.

8. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sub par compared to what? It works and I have no real problems. It's some times difficult shooting in the dark, but when you're shooting at 6400 ISO (which is usable), you can't expect miracles no matter what camera you're using.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Fidel. The 5DII gets a bad reputation for it's AF, not because it's particularly bad...it just didn't live up to the expectations of the many gear snobs who live for new camera spec sheets ;)

Part of that may be because of it's price and that the less expensive 40D/50D cameras have an AF system that is as good or better.

And while the 5DII doesn't have as good weather sealing as the 1 series...it's not a sugar cube. I believe it's more sealed than my 20D...which has lived though a full on drenching while in the rain forests of Costa Rica.

Something not to be overlooked is size & weight. If you are planning to carry this camera around, the 1 series might be a pain, although some people like the heft, especially compared to the light (almost flimsy) feeling of a rebel....especially when paired with a big heavy lens.

It's hard to tell you what's best for you...but I'd suggest that you'd be plenty happy with the 5DII.

10. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've honestly never had a problem with the AF system on my 5D for most of the shooting I do. But I've learned to live within the constraints of typical Canon AF systems (40D, 50D, 5D2). I generally use just the center AF point. I actually prefer this method and even on my 1D I find that I often activate a single AF point when shooting except when I'm using it for action/sports. At that point I activate all the AF points and use AI Servo mode vs. Single Shot.

I don't think the 5D2's AF system is "bad" at all. It's quite usable and reliable once you get accustom to it.

11. David84

David84 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks again for more responses! I had decided on the 5D II a while back, and then had just seen pricing for the 1Ds II and the 1D III, and wanted to make sure I was making the right choice.

All I have to base by experience on is my XTi.....ugh...I know. I've had it for 2 years and I'm sure the 5D II would be everything I need..... I just didn't want to limit myself either.

Have any of you seen a 5D II for an incredible price lately? Any con's on buying used vs. new for a few hundred bucks more??

Thanks,

David

12. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always shop Adorama.com (give them a call 1-800-223-2500 and ask for Meyer #28). They have always had great prices and the absolute best customer service.

Since the 5D2 is still in extremely high demand you'll be lucky to find a new one much less a used one from one of the major retailers. It seems they get regular shipments though and even if they don't have one in stock when you order, they will within a day or two.

While I would personally be reluctant to buy used (again, that's a personal preference), I have absolutely no qualms buying Canon factory refurbished. I bought my 1D3 from Adorama at a great price as a factory refurb and have been extremely impressed.

You'll love the camera, you're making an outstanding choice.