5D MK II Announced - the moon shines

$2699 is not too bad of a price. I wonder when they start shipping and how long it will take people to actually get them. I'm looking forward to a user review but I already know I want that camera.

Yep. People on other forums are complaining that it's not completely weather-sealed, no 45+ point AF, and they're complaining that it has 1080p video.

Shoot, that's not the intention of this camera. It'll be a solid, great IQ camera that's in a decent budget. I can't wait to see some high ISO samples. Pretty sure this will make its way to my bag soon after it comes out. $3499 with a 24-105 f/4L IS is reasonable IMO.

Nice, that's about what I thought the specs would be. I have mixed feelings about the HD video...but as long as it's there, might as well use it. And $2700 is not bad at all. I was thinking at least $3000.

Basically it's $350 more than the 5D for HD video and a better processor, higher ISO and other minor improvements. This will definitely be my next camera.

I'm surprised that the FPS was only bumped up to 3.9 though. They don't want it the pro sports photographers buying this I guess.

This quote on DPreview makes me happy:

The new DIGIC 4 processor combines with the improved CMOS sensor to deliver medium format territory image quality

The UK price on there is scandalous - my maths says that's around $4,090.00, whilst the Euro price is $3,550.00. Lets hope there's some serious discounting going on with the street price.

and to think I got up early for that! oh well I'll see how well it handles soon

as for the price, well its based on the price of the D700 (£2000) and A900 (about £2499) so its about what I thought it would be. Look at how much the D700 has dropped in price already, it sells for about £1749 give or take so the 5D will be £1999 in no time.

It will sell but I get the feeling there will still be masses of people changing over to Nikon, so lots more nice L glass coming in in part exchange :biggrin:

Last edited:
strangely, I can't seen to find any examples over ISO 100 anywhere!

sigh - us poor nature photographers - why are we forced to the top end to get the basics that we need (weather sealing!) :(
Also with the video feature I would have thought that FPS would have been faster.

In the end though it looks like a very good camera for full frame - still I don't know if its the full frame I would head for - I will wait and see how good its ISO is ;)

I'm going to start saving now. I've wanted a FF camera to compliment my 1D MKII, and I think this will be it.

Looks alright to me.

sigh - us poor nature photographers - why are we forced to the top end to get the basics that we need (weather sealing!)
It says, "additional environmental protection"...I wonder what that means.

Go ahead and switch to Nikon. It's basically getting a 1DsMKIII sensor for a fifth of the price. This Camera is hopefully going to be amazing.

I mean, people are still using the OG 5D. It has low FPS and no bells or whistles. It takes pictures and does it amazingly well.

http://www.dslruser.co.uk/dslrtv/
video review :)

From what I have read its got some weathersealing, but not the same as the 1D series cameras - so whilst its got some protection its not fully protected (though it should survive a small downpour)

The 3.9 fps and 9 pouint AF is what's killing it for me. Was hoping to get a better 1D-ish AF system so I do not have to splurge on a 1D Mark III. I will have a talk with Canon tech and see if the AF holds water on the 5D though in all honesty, I do not think this is a camera geared towards sports or wildlife photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back