5D mk III coming soon?

I shoot with Canon 5D, and obligated to shoot in low-light conditions. Im pretty much satisfied, the only big problem for me is terrible noise (even with 2.8 lens). I've read/heard that 5Dmk2 is much better at this point, so I was drooling over it for some time... Yet I hope that 5Dmk3 will be even better with low-noise function. Then it's worth robbing a bank.

My real hope for this camera is noise performance as well. Of the differences between Canon and Nikon recently, Canon's lagging in ISO performance is what's bothered me most. I think by now the consensus is that we're all satisfied with resolution... 21, 24, 32, whatever it's gonna be will be more than enough. You can never have too much low light ability though. I'd settle for 12mp if I could shoot clean at 12800!

Well the Instant Savings here in the US is only $100.00. :(

CANON'S LATEST RELEASE EVENT

ok maybe the one on the 3rd will be more interesting ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping so...

Waiting for the original 5D to drop below $500. Wouldn't mind getting a full frame Canon to knock around with one of my favorite lenses (from back in the film EOS days). Its the only Canon mount thing I kept off the auction block.

Even with 5D classic at $800-$900 right now makes it worth it to go with Canon when you just started out.

Does anyone think Canon might reduce the MP in their follow up? If they try keep up or go ahead of competition here it could end up being 50mp. Look at the latest Sony for release, A77. 24 mp on crop sensor, not sure how it will perform but maybe engineers have found a way to make it excel at high ISO with low noise. As many people on the forum I would like a full frame,more because I like gadgets than my ability,or lack of bells and whistles on what I own now and a 5d markII would be on my wish list.If the Mark III or 6d or whatever its called had a full frame 18mp sensor with say the processor and AF of a 7d I would want that more, as I think many here would, but across the globe it might sell less because of it "low" resolution sensor. Do bigger numbers sell cameras?

Do bigger numbers sell cameras?
Bingo!

It's (thankfully) mostly over now, but for a long while, the camera companies were in a megapixel war. Each new release would have more megapixels....and the companies/stores that were selling them, used that as one of their main selling points. Heck, they still do that. I get all sorts of flyers in the mail, and the ad copy for every digital camera lists how many megapixels it shoots/records.

Meanwhile, us photographers have long been saying that we don't want more megapixels, we want a better dynamic range, we want better (lower) noise at higher ISO levels. We want better AF systems etc.

I even recall that some Canon engineers said (off the record) that they could have produced camera that give better image quality, but they were pushed into designing cameras with more megapixels instead.

The problem is, esp for the consumer level cameras, the "photographers" are almost the minority to the "general public" who are now a major buying power for cameras; and sadly most starting on an entry level body won't have much understanding of things. So what advances get pushed for are whatever the marketing departments manage to boil down into easily understandable marketing concepts - and MP was one of them (plus the fact that bigger photos in the camera and computer meant that people could easily see the advance - bigger dynamic range is something many simply will not notice one camera to the next unless it was a massive advance).

I think we are now entering an ISO war with the brands; however we've also Sony and the like pulling out new bodies with higher specs at lower price points which, very soon, is probably going to force the likes of Canon to rethink the content structure of their range.

Canon Rumors has a new item up.... No 5DMark III. *sigh*

not to worry, they are rarely right anyway:) I prefer the northlight rumours pages. he seems to be a bit more intelligent:D

Perhaps they are coming out with a 1Ds MKIV.. they've skipped a generation or two now of the Ds version.

40D mkII LOL

(I love my 40D)

With nikon "stupidly" release the j1 / v1, it just make canon still comfortable in their 5DmkII zone. Well, at least they can sit back until the D700 replacement comes out...

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back