5D Mk2 and lenses

phototrek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided to get some lenes during the rebate period. I am looking at buying the 16-35 f/2.98L and the 70 - 200 f/4L IS. Anybody have any experience using these lenes with the 5D Mk2? Also, do you miss not having the 45 focus points like in the 1V cameras? I have the 1V and I like the 45 point focus so I hope I don't miss it if I buy the 5D2. Or should i just buy the lenes and wait to see if a new 1D4 will be announced in Aug. or Sept? These cameras and lenes will be used for landsacpe photos.

If you want to shoot landscapes the 5DMk2 will be fine. The AF system works just fine for such things. Where the AF system falls short is in the action department - where subjects are moving around a lot. Shooting relatively static subjects isn't a problem at all. I use my 5DMk2 in studio exclusively and the results are nothing short of amazing. I love the camera. I use my 1DMk3 for other things like sports and action type stuff.

If you're waiting for the 1DMk4, are you waiting on the 1DsMk4? If you don't have $8k to dump on a body, then the 5DMk2 is the camera for you since it's full frame. If you do have $8k burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 5DMk2 anyway and shoot with it until the 1DsMk4 comes out. :)

If I get the 5D2 is it sealed against the elements? I am going hiking in Northern NM and Moab,Ut this October and I was wondering if I have to worry about dust and rain. I know that if I change lenes there might be some dust on the sensor but I hope the cameras dust removal will work.

I am not sure, but the photographer that I shoot with and owns one said it wasn't.

i wouldn't want to have it outside in a downpour, but dust is not really an issue.

The 1Ds has way better weather proofing than the 5D. I've heard of people taking those things into blizzards and still being able to shoot fast. o_O

I see you have the 17-40 f/4L lens. Do you like this lens? Which do you think is better for landsacapes, 16/35 f/2.8L II or 17-40 f/4L? I amalso thinking about getting the 70-200 f/4L to carryh when hiking instead of myh 70-200 f/2.8L. Maybe I can get the 500 f/4L in the next few months.

Tharmsen, I see you have the 17-40 f/4L lens. Do you like this lens? Which do you think is better for landsacapes, 16/35 f/2.8L II or 17-40 f/4L? I amalso thinking about getting the 70-200 f/4L to carryh when hiking instead of myh 70-200 f/2.8L. Maybe I can get the 500 f/4L in the next few months.

I don't shoot a lot of landscapes. I'm more into model and portrait photography. For that the 17-40 is ideal. It gives me plenty of creative options that I don't have with my longer lenses.

I'm more into model and portrait photography. For that the 17-40 is ideal. It gives me plenty of creative options that I don't have with my longer lenses.

Actually, for portraiture, 70mm and up gives you better results. Less "chipmunk cheek" and slims down the ladies overall. I see differences even between my 50mm and 85mm with shots taken side by side. For creative shoots where this doesn't matter and room/size is an issue, yeah, the shorter lenses will get it done too. :)

Also if you want to see how sealed the 1D mk.II (not the mk. III but the mk.II sealing is probably the same if not better) Get a copy of Popular Photography May 2009 issue and go to pages 18-19. He explains how he cleaned his camera after running tap water with a toothbrush. He was shooting some festival in India. Google "Holi Festival".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back