5D MKIII or 6D...

Which Do You Choose?

• Total voters
you ever find it disturbing that all these soccer moms, superdads, and hobbyists are running around with better cameras than you and you are a photographer?

Not in the least. I never let myself waste time worrying about what other people are using...

you ever find it disturbing that all these soccer moms, superdads, and hobbyists are running around with better cameras than you and you are a photographer?

Not in the least. I never let myself waste time worrying about what other people are using...

Why should he? Chances are, his photos over all are way better than their's anyway. I only say chances because as they say around here "even a blind sow finds and acorn every now and then".

Why should he? Chances are, his photos over all are way better than their's anyway. I only say chances because as they say around here "even a blind sow finds and acorn every now and then".

One thing I learned a long time ago is that there's always someone better.

Always...

I own the 6D and have shot with both extensively. The 5DIII does feel like it's much more of a pro camera than the 6D. It is better built. The 6D is basically a full frame 60D with the 5DII focusing system. For the price, it really can't be beaten and if you can deal with the cheap feeling buttons within the circle wheel and the fact that choosing focus points with the slightly awkward pad as against a joy stick doesn't bother you then it's easily worth it just for the price. If you shoot sports or wildlife, or maybe you're just a perfectionist when it comes to build, get the 5DIII.

Another thing I like about the 5DIII is the independent rate button. It makes it very easy when working with assistants to mark images to send as a preview to clients and such.

I voted for the 5DIII but price is very much an issue hence why I'm shooting with the 6D. That said, the 6D is a great camera body and won't disappoint.

I'm just a casual photographer. I enjoy pro-consumer grade, since $3000 for a body is a little outrageous.

Another thing to note is that the 6D is pretty much a 5DII with slightly newer technology and slightly lesser build quality, so if you have shot with a 5DII, you pretty much know what a 6D will be like.

Another thing to note is that the 6D is pretty much a 5DII with slightly newer technology and slightly lesser build quality, so if you have shot with a 5DII, you pretty much know what a 6D will be like.
I wouldn't compare the Mark II to the 6D. The performance of the 6D far exceeds the old Mark. Mainly because of the ISO and focusing systems.

I wouldn't compare the Mark II to the 6D. The performance of the 6D far exceeds the old Mark. Mainly because of the ISO and focusing systems.
I'm fairly sure the focusing system is exactly the same, apart from the middle point being more sensitive in low light. Personally, that's quite important as I shoot in low light with strobes often. Compared to the MkIII, it's pretty crap. It's also a crop sensor focus system, so all the points are in the middle of the viewfinder. More than adequate for anything apart from action though. There are better focus systems on the entry level Canon cameras.

If money wasnt an issue Id buy a few Canon 1DX's, but since most use this for business and you have to justify the expense I bought the Canon 6D and im loving it. I had a 5D classic before that and the 6d was a huge step up for me. I use center point focusing so the 200 focus points doesnt really matter to me. I do wish the 6d had dual cf card slots but thats my only complaint.

I think people tend to forget that a camera is just a tool, its the photographer behind it that makes the difference.

Most reactions

Back