5D Time Laspe Clouds *Video*

Ls3D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shea-design.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Always wanted to capture footage like [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZB7Y5DC8ug&fmt=22"]this[/ame] in HD. We don't get many storms here so I was pleased to shoot this from the front yard. You my have to re-play until youtube figures out the problem.. just added wider HD viewing.

-Shea

wow, pretty slick! Man this video stuff is pretty fun - I just finished editing a new basketball clip - will upload it with a fast connection tomorrow. Nice work - keep us updated

Cool.

By the way, that is NOT the weather in Berlin right now.

That's amazing! How big is that file?

That's awesome! The quality looks beautiful

Thanks everybody!

The largest file is 4Gb's (the limit), and I was able to let that one run 18.5 minutes due to the sky compressing efficiently. All the clips from that morning passed 8Gb's, but distilled down to just 730Mb's of 1280 X 1080 PNG files by the time I resampled for time laspe, keeping only about 2% of the temporal resolution (number of frames).

I shot another 14.5 gigs today (with a day of rain in between) and the time re-mapped PNG sequence is render in After Effects right now (good time to surf).

Now for some tips:

If you edit in AE, set the view to 50% & the preview resolution to 1/4 if you want to scrub. While shooting this type of footage, the use of AE lock is suggested. Exposure compensation is great for limiting hot spots in the footage. If you can keep the camera in the shade it will record and live longer.

Guess I'll go ahead and back up the 22 Gigs of movies in case I want to re-time or run some noise reduction etc. And I will post some time-warped (ramping speed) sequences latter tonight. :thumbup:

-Shea

EDIT: Here is the new [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=368UOp1cA7Y&feature=channel_page&fmt=22"]clip[/ame], not as interesting as the first day, but with some time warps. -S

Last edited:
:thumbsup: to both of you for those clips.

wait 4gb was 18 minutes? thats a joke.

The quality looks great though... I love the look you get from the SLR lenses. So much sharper.

wait 4gb was 18 minutes? thats a joke.

Only if you do not realize the full frame is 1920 X 1080 or approximately 6 Mb per frame, 180 Mb per second, 1.08 Gb per minute, or 33.3 Gb for the 18.5 seconds...

33.3 compressed to 4 gigs about 8.3 to 1 compression, better than the 5:1 compression of mini DV.

If that's a joke, please tell more. Guess I should edit out todays footage... all math approximate.

-Shea

Final Fishy [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKI_hzKQZ4&fmt=22"]Flick[/ame]. Note the lucky first take rack focus between leaves (if compression does not kill it).

Keith, I'm trying to decide if I will keep the 24-105 now,... I was not liking the soft results I got in low light hand held today, but when I compared it with the nifty fifty in 'studio' light tonight it looked real good... Do you have any more studio shots with the 24-105? Maybe I should keep it and just add the 100mm 2.8 macro for that ultra sharp look.

-S

180 megs a second is kinda hard to believe. Im not sure of the technical terms. But are you sure its using 6mb a frame? thats so much to process.

I just thought it was wierd because i have a Sony V1u and a whole tape is about 6 gigs. Thats about 63 minutes of video.

and when you said 4 gigs for 18 minutes i was kinda like "woah"

I dont doubt what you said at all. I'm just curious.

Is it progressive scan or interlaced?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back