5D Vs 40D

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So one of my buddies is really keen on getting the new 5D MKII and so he decides to sell his old 5D at a very attractive price.

Now I've been waiting for the price of the 40D to go down to purchase that, but with this new piece of hardware becoming available to me ive become torn somewhat.

The two biggest disadvantages to the 5D (for me) is the slower FPS that you get and ill be loosing my crop factor. now, the possible trade off is superior noise handling...

My question is: is that noise performance so much better than the 40D that i should aquire a 5D (two years of age) over a brand new 40D?

much appreciated.

Oh and this decision apparently needs to be made by this week....

My personal choice would be the 5D, if you have good enough lenses to support it. The full frame is like... epic.

I have both. I use my 5D and 1Ds II with a 40D as a back up. There is no comparison between the two. The 5D is by far a superior camera, I would never use my 40D over the 5D.

I was using xxD cameras up until a few weeks ago when I got the 5D. I will never look back. I know it seems like the 1.6 crop factor is a blessing, but really it's a curse. Full frame is the way to go, through and through. Slower FPS, eh, hasn't bothered me.

And, yes, in my opinion, even at 3200 iso, the camera still produces usable images. At 1600, they're perfectly acceptable.

I couldn't agree more with the previous sentiments. Get the 5D.

even taking into consideration that the camera has already been in use for two years?

keep in mind i am coming up from a XTi, im afraid the 5D might be a bit too much juice for me just because of its price niche...

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the use. If you trust the guy who had it last, it's probably going to be fine. Plus, the shutter has some outrageous rating too, like 150,000 actuations or something. The only thing you'll be feeling is good with a nice solid piece of equipment in your hands! :)

yeah i think that is the rating on the shutter which is pretty impressive. the only thing im still semi concerned with is the full frame, which is supposed to be a blessing yes, however ive come to like it, and i plan to be purchasing mostly L glass in the future (i think its useless spending money on mediocre lenses because if im going to probably upgrade inthe future why not just by them first? spend less money in the end) it is a good 300 more then i was going to spend on the 40D. this is tough.

Having never used either of these cameras, I feel more than qualified to tell you all about them. [/sarcasm]

I think you have two factors to consider...

a) Is the noise handling significant enough to warrant losing your extra zoom AND your fps?

b) Do you own any EF-S lenses? Cause if so, they will not work with a 5D.

That is all. If you can't tell, I'm a fan of the 40D, cause I think its better for the average photographer. As a matter of fact, I'll even go as far as to say on most things under an 8x10, the differences even at higher ISOs would be difficult to differentiate (not impossible mind you). There will be depth of field issues, and noise issues, but I think only VERY experienced photographers would be able to look at your work and tell if its a 5D or 40D without seeing a similar shot on the other.

But once again, I feel the need to reiterate that I have no first-hand experience with these cameras. Either way, I think you'll be in Canon heaven! :)

I've used 5D's and 40D's even 1Ds mkII's pretty extensively, and if I had a choice between any of them, I would choose the 5D every single time. It's an awesome camera, the sensor has really high acuity that's a little better then the D3/700.

theres something about the EF-S lenses thats turned me off from them and its the build quality.. mind you i havent experienced the upper niche (ie 17-55 F2.8 IS) but they feel cheap so i havent bought any more.

Right now i think the 5D may be a little much for what im losing. and senor hound i think you answered my one of my internal dilemmas.
The 40D is a better all purpose camera, and i dont think im ready to move up to full frame quite yet. so ill spend less on the 40D i think... for now lol

Im still trying really hard to hold out on buying one because i think the prices will drop signifcantly around xmas. do you guys think itll go much below 1000 CDN in that time? ive seen it around for 999 and have been SO tempted to buy, but i might get it cheaper later.

well either the 40D or 5D will be a big setup up from the XTi so either way you will have a better camera body.
As for things such as FPS consider that most of the time bursts of frames rely upon perfect timing of the first shot - factors such as autofocus accuracy and speed as well as your timing of pressing the shutter will affect your results.
Also consider that whilst you lose you crop factor, you gain extra working area on a shot - you can crop more off a shot to get back to a 1.6 crop if you want, but you can also keep sections -- its something I find with macro and working at the 1:1 ratio that I find I want just a little bit more area to my shots - which I just don't get with crop (I have to lose bits of insect or reduce my magnification)

If I were in your shoes I would - like others above) go for the 5D. I would not worry about "not having the right lenses" or "it being to big a jump" since the first will be solved in time (and heck you have a 100mm macro and 50mm already) and the latter is just not a real factor - yes its a big jump and it will take time to work out how to use it best, but the same is true of the 40D.

If I were in your shoes I would - like others above) go for the 5D. I would not worry about "not having the right lenses" or "it being to big a jump" since the first will be solved in time (and heck you have a 100mm macro and 50mm already) and the latter is just not a real factor - yes its a big jump and it will take time to work out how to use it best, but the same is true of the 40D.

Excellent point.

The 40D and the 5D both share essentially the same control lay out. When I moved up there was no learning curve at all. I was already accustomed to the camera. Whether you switch to the 40D or the 5D, it's going to feel basically like the same switch. And, I'm betting you don't notice the crop factor as much as you notice the nice huge viewfinder making auto focus way easier.

...but, if you're set on not buying the camera, just how much is your friend selling it for?

hehehe!!! I have the very same conundrum regarding the 50D and the
5D MKII !!!

but im leaning towards the 5DII since i have 2 L class lenses ...

hes selling it for 1300, because i live away from my house on campus and dont have a car i havent been able to go out and feel one yet. ive held the 40D, but i think the 5D is a little bigger, and im looking foward to that viewfinder...

Most reactions

Back