5D with 24-105mm Lens ~Store Display model

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by maytay20, Sep 2, 2008.

1. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I have been eyeing a 5D display model for a couple months now at my local best buy store. I finally got the guts today to ask if it was for sale and for a price. It was of course for sale and pretty beat up too. I took a few photos with it and asked questions. After about 45 minutes of employees searching for people in charge and the box / other stuff that should have been with the camera I was told I could buy it for $3,000.00. Now the box with warranty card charger etc was not to be found including the lens cap. I said no but did I turn down a good deal or are my thoughts right in thinking they are nuts for expecting that much for it. It had nicks in the body but it took photos :lmao: and the lens appeared to be scratch free. He did also try to order me a new one but of course couldn't because they were out of stock online. (I already knew this) Even on B&H it is coming up for only $49 more than they were asking new. [​IMG] Thanks, Mary

2. JeepWithCanon

JeepWithCanon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally.... I would not purchase a camera from Best Buy. But that's mostly because I have had a few sour purchases there. It almost sounds like it was the only 5D in stock (the floor display model). I think you were smart to walk away. If I were spending that much money, I would want a brand spanking new one! :wink:

3. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm about to upgrade to the 5D body myself. I just found out tonight though that there's good reason to believe that Canon is announcing the successor to the 5D at Photokina at the end of this month. If that's the case, the current 5D model might see some price drops and if nothing else, the new 5D model would likely be in the $3000 range also. I'm probably going to be waiting to see what happens.

But for what it's worth, Adorama has the 5D for $2400 brand new. I wouldn't beat yourself up. If nothing else, feel confident that that blood sucking company, Best Buy, wasn't able to get their grubby hands on your money!

4. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys. Yeah we only usually buy Cd's from them for our DJ company so that is the only reason I was there. They have a lot of off the wall hard to find music. I actually only had $1,300.00 on me so I was hoping with how beat up it was they would put it in that price range. ;) But I have a feeling they really don't want to loose money on it. Hmmm I will have to keep my eye out for the what canon does next. :thumbup:

5. Txaggie08

Txaggie08 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    um......no.

I could sell you a BNIB one at work(I work at ritz in college Station) for 2399 body only. I don't know what the kit lens is like but I think we could hook you up with something quality in the 600$ range that's better than that lens.

I hate best buy, but I love them at the same time. They piss people off with crappy service, so they come in and buy things from me when they get treated well...