5D3 shutter speed changes in manual mode?

The_Thames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I shot this video yesterday and noticed that the exposure got darker as the video progressed. In the very beginning it was where I wanted it, but then got darker. When I turned off the record button the shutter speed was at 80 and I had set it at 60 in manual mode. Does the shutter speed change after setting it in manual mode while shooting video?

Last edited by a moderator:
1/60 to 1/80 is a small shutter speed change - only 1/3 of a stop.

Starting at about 0:20 the already under exposed video starts getting bradually more under exposed out to about 0:26.
But no, in Manual mode the shutter speed should not change on it's own.

Last edited:
Far as I know it shouldn't change, but I've honestly not used the video mode much. It might be that you accidentally pushed the wheel for shutter speed whilst recording.

Weird. If I had to guess I'd say some helper mode was turned on.

Thanks guys, Im still trying to figure this out. I don't see how after the shutter is set to accidentally change it by hitting something. I've been reading up on the 5D3 and have heard the camera is already under exposed so that might be part of the problem. Can such problems occur if the camera get hot? This was after about a half hour of shooting.

Did you have the auto lighting optimizer setting on? The little square with the guy and the lines. Turn that off.

$image.jpeg

Wow...right there isn the 20-seconds zone the backdrop realllly got dark, fast.

OP, do you have adobe speedgrade? It's like photoshop for video. You should be able to lighten it up but some areas might get noisy.

Runnah, yes, I had that turned on! Do you think that was it? Perhaps I was hallucinating when I saw the shutter up at 80. Because I very mindfully put the camera in Manual mode and set the shutter speed at 60 to match the 30 allI frame rate...... I even had to go back in the quick menu to set it back down to 60 again afterwards, however, I did change the ISO after a shot or two and maybe it's possible I changed the shutter speed without knowing it.

All I have is FCP6, I did lighten it up with the color corrector, but it got so grainy and noisy that it defeated the purpose... looked awful! Live and learn I guess...... since the 5D3 can almost see in the dark, I think felt a little macho with shooting right on the edge. The image looked perfect in the viewfinder and monitor, but when I imported it into FCP I was horrified at how much darker it was, then when I uploaded to YouTube and Vimeo it got even darker.

I'm not going to try and fix it, I'll just have to do another shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back