5dM1 vs 5dMII

Kwak12r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
With all that is being said about the 5DMII and the pixel count vs. the old 5DMI, it has lead me to have to ask some questions.
The main question is that after reading all the threads about how many pixels are crammed on to the sensor of the 5DMII, this might cause excessive noise compared to the older model.
With larger pixels and not as many crammed on to the sensor itself, will the resulting image be sharper and more saturated with the 5DMI?
I am shooting architecture and landscapes thus wanting to move up to a full frame camera.
I feel that all that i have read and heard is that going to a full frame sensor for the type of photography I am doing is clearly a better choice.

With all that is being said about the 5DMII and the pixel count vs. the old 5DMI, it has lead me to have to ask some questions.
The main question is that after reading all the threads about how many pixels are crammed on to the sensor of the 5DMII, this might cause excessive noise compared to the older model.
With larger pixels and not as many crammed on to the sensor itself, will the resulting image be sharper and more saturated with the 5DMI?
I am shooting architecture and landscapes thus wanting to move up to a full frame camera.
I feel that all that i have read and heard is that going to a full frame sensor for the type of photography I am doing is clearly a better choice.

I have just bought the mk1 but i have seen some great shots with the mk2 at iso25600 by Ziv Koren of fighting in Gaza

Your concern is indeed a theoretical possibility, but practice seems to indicate that those worries are unfounded in this case.

Sensor technology has improved since 2005(?) when the Mark I was released. I am pretty sure that the same noise as before but with smaller pixels is what - at least in part - allows them to cram more pixels into a smaller space.

I am CERTAIN that you can do a fairly easy internet search and find some comparison shots for noise levels between the Mark I and II.

From what I have read in objective reviews, the 5DMII is far superior to the 5dMI in low noise performance.

Most reactions

Back