5DmII Video Questn, playing edited file in camera.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Ls3D, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any luck playing EDITED movies with the camera? I tried an H264 quicktime from AE cs3 but the camera did not see it.

I picked up a mini to regular hdmi cable (at 10:45pm last night :lol:) and would like to be able to playback my time lapse clouds in either the LCD display or out the hdmi port...

BTW The hdmi output is actually pretty useful for stills too, on a 32 inch Vizio I can quickly judge focus and find any dust bunnies in a shot.

I guess Keith may be the only one who can try this right now :lol:, in CS4 anyway.

-Shea

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Great topic! I'm on the same page as you are - well, soon. Been looking all day for a good cheap (if the two can define the same) miniHDMI to HDMI cable to do the same thing. So, not quite sure - will try it out in a couple of weeks.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the following means at the end of our manuals...

3. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If there are any circuit city locations left in your area my cable was had for $42 and is sony branded... a bit expensive as are most of these prosumer accessories.

If you get a chance try a little test clip, it may help sway my upgrade options.

-Shea

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm betting that unless you encode in 100% the same manner as the camera does, it will not see it nor be able to play it. Likely Canon will do a little something inside the encoding algorithm to make sure that no one displays a poor quality image through their camera claiming crappy or faked results.

I doubt if the camera did not record it, that it will be playable on the camera.

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some one said that the 5D MKII has a proprietary encoding format that you have to use Canon's software for to be able to view/edit the video with other programs.

I accidentally forgot to delete a video and imported it with the rest of the photos I had from a Christmas party last week and it was sitting there in Bridge CS4 as a .mov file. I could even open and play it with quicktime. Why?

$7.36 for a 6' mini hdmi to hdmi
    HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

6. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is H.264 in a Quicktime wrapper, nothing proprietary except maybe a flag in the hidden meta data. Probably just need the latest Quicktime codec$ and to use the proper file naming convention (this aspect I was able to comply with).

Village, Bridge just sees another media item to sort and preview, and your second statement kinda nullifies your first. Quicktime pro is pretty cheap if you just need to trim and 'save as' a few formats. I suspect the QTpro saved files will read back in camera and I will try that after a late lunch - but AE edited clips are really where the action is at! Be advised QTpro will save at the view size potentially letting the user throw away perfectly good data, or conversely enable one to create a size they can actually play without frame stutter (a dual edge sword, no).

-Shea

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008