5dmk4 or 5dmk3

Matchboxphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all I am looking upgrading from my 600D to the mk3 but I also hear there are rumours around that canon could be announcing the mk4 in March so I was thinking should it take the risk and wait till the mk4 comes out or get the mk3?
I shoot a lot of fashion and sport I am also starting to get into event photography.
I am possibly starting to work for a national photography business and they need me to have a better camera then the 600d and some longer lens, if I do get his job they will be sending me on my first assignment at the end of March so I will need the 5d by then.

I am looking at getting the canon 300mm f4 with the 50mm 1.4 and I will be getting the 24-70 2.8 kit witth the 5d and I will be financing all these through one of the local dealers so I would get them at all at the sametime.

If you get the job will they pay for the camera equipment? I'm also thinking of going FF around April. I still have a 450D, but I might move to the dark-side (Nikon) as their sensors and low-light performance does seem better than Canon's at the moment.

I don't know if they will pay as it's kind of a contract job? And I would prefer to pay myself that way I get to keep it.

You may not have a choice and will have to go with the 5D mk III. Here is the latest rumors about the replacement.

It's starting to look like it won't be announced until March or later. I'm waiting to see what the replacement is like as well.

If you are going to be doing sports, is the 5D mk III going to have a fast enough FPS for you. What about a used 1Ds or 1Dx?

You may not have a choice and will have to go with the 5D mk III. Here is the latest rumors about the replacement.

It's starting to look like it won't be announced until March or later. I'm waiting to see what the replacement is like as well.

If you are going to be doing sports, is the 5D mk III going to have a fast enough FPS for you. What about a used 1Ds or 1Dx?

I did alright with sports using the mkiii. It's a good all around camera.

The good news is that the mkIII is getting very cheap.

If you get the job will they pay for the camera equipment? I'm also thinking of going FF around April. I still have a 450D, but I might move to the dark-side (Nikon) as their sensors and low-light performance does seem better than Canon's at the moment.

Keep in mind that all of canons high end dslrs are at the end of their life spans while all the Nikons are at the beginning of theirs.

I get the feeling we will all be singing a different tune once the next batch of high end canons come out.

I used the Mklll for shooting sports until I got a 1Dx, it's a great camera. If Canon does release a new body, finding the "old" mklll should be a better deal. I can't see Canon making too many changes to a new body, very minor, slightly more than adding a new mkIv label I expect.

That is what I thought when the 7D2 came out. I still think the 7100 has better DR, and its a couple of years older. I will wait and see what the 6D2 is like (if it comes), I probably won't be able to afford a 5D. Rumours about a 3D also making the rounds, but that will be even more expensive. Was thinking of the d750-looks like a monster of a camera.

I used the Mklll for shooting sports until I got a 1Dx, it's a great camera. If Canon does release a new body, finding the "old" mklll should be a better deal. I can't see Canon making too many changes to a new body, very minor, slightly more than adding a new mkIv label I expect.

Yeah the rumors are all over the shop. I've heard 3 different models. I've Jared a 50mp version. I've heard a sports version. I don't know, only time will tell.

I would be shocked if they all didn't have new sensors across the board.

The 5D III should be replaced soon.
The 5D IV is rumored to have 50MP sensor, if this is true then that means it will be a studio focused camera, not a blazing fast sports camera.
With all the rumors who knows whats true and what not, if the 5D IV will indeed be a studio camera I have a feeling the 6D II will take its place as a general use camera thus you might look at the 6D II as the camera of choice.

Here is one fact that's has no denial-even if the 5D III is being replaced soon it is still a fantastic camera.
Its biggest weaknesses is its sensor that has relatively poor DR and its low light performance is lagging just a bit behind Nikons D750
Buying the 5D III is hardly a bad choice but I understand why you don't want to buy a camera when you know it is being phased out soon.

Your second option is jump ship and go with Nikon, as the happy owner of the Nikon D750 I can tell you from what you need the D750 perfectly suits your needs the low light performance, shadow recovery and DR is just fantastic and its cheaper then the 5D III

I would be surprised if they went with a sports model while the 1Dx is still pretty much the perfect sports camera. I don't find a 50mp camera very appealing for the type of work I do. What ends up happening is bigger cards, slower downloads, more storage space required. For studio work it would be great, but at what point does it start to get pointless? It's all just becoming a who can have the biggest files.

I would be surprised if they went with a sports model while the 1Dx is still pretty much the perfect sports camera. I don't find a 50mp camera very appealing for the type of work I do. What ends up happening is bigger cards, slower downloads, more storage space required. For studio work it would be great, but at what point does it start to get pointless? It's all just becoming a who can have the biggest files.
I am not a professional but I think files size between 16MP-24MP would be pretty much ideal for sports and events shooters.
The silly and pointless MP race leaves me buffled at what the camera makers fight over and for who ?
I would rather have a 24MP camera with 20% better low light performance over 36MP sesnor (or more) with same low light performance.
These huge files will not help or improve my photography in any way, shape or form and just add the need to ever bigger SD cards and HD to store them in.
BTW we all forget one more improtant thing, most of our lenses can give this insane resolution, the better ones are rated at 24MP and 27MP after that they fall apart.
Ever sharper lenses will mean much more expensive glass.

I am not a professional but I think files size between 16MP-24MP would be pretty much ideal for sports and events shooters.
The silly and pointless MP race leaves me buffled at what the camera makers fight over and for who ?
I would rather have a 24MP camera with 20% better low light performance over 36MP sesnor (or more) with same low light performance.
These huge files will not help or improve my photography in any way, shape or form and just add the need to ever bigger SD cards and HD to store them in.
BTW we all forget one more improtant thing, most of our lenses can give this insane resolution, the better ones are rated at 24MP and 27MP after that they fall apart.
Ever sharper lenses will mean much more expensive glass.

I remember when megapixels was the buzzword that low light is today.

When I say sports I mean a 7dmkii speed full frame option. Not 1dx territory but a happy medium.

As for the 50mp, well I can think of times when I'd love to have that and others where I would hate it.

Most reactions

Back