5Ds/r Officially announced, sample images posted

Canon's answer to the Nikon's D800 series. Yes, it was inevitable with the Nikon's popularity that Canon produce a studio/portrait/landscape body and reclaim their position in the industry. Not Canon or Nikon fanboy, just stating the marketing objective as I see it.

Now, who needs 50mp? I never thought I'd want 36.3mp but there it is, I love it. Will 50 be better? Are we reaching the saturation point of pixel density?

I sure hope Nikon doesn't release a D820 anytime soon, crappers, I just shelled out for the 810!

Canon's answer to the Nikon's D800 series. Yes, it was inevitable with the Nikon's popularity that Canon produce a studio/portrait/landscape body and reclaim their position in the industry. Not Canon or Nikon fanboy, just stating the marketing objective as I see it.

Now, who needs 50mp? I never thought I'd want 36.3mp but there it is, I love it. Will 50 be better? Are we reaching the saturation point of pixel density?

I sure hope Nikon doesn't release a D820 anytime soon, crappers, I just shelled out for the 810!
Considering the excitement the latest round of 50mp medium format cameras generated, I'd imagine there are a few out there how see the need. ;)

I'm sure of it and wouldn't be surprised if some D800+ users give it a tryout.

Okay, I've been looking at the reviews and videos about these cameras. I am seeing where most are positioning this as a studio/portrait/landscape camera. Only once did I see someone questions the 1.3x and 1.x6x in camera crop factor and the they also mentioned the sRaw and mRaw file sizes.

This got me to thinking, could Canon really want this to be another all around camera like the 5D mk III was? I mean sure with 50mp, it's going to be good at portraits, landscape and such. But with 2 - Digic 6 processors and the ability to crop to 1.6x and shoot a mRaw of about 24mp, wouldn't this be the same as the 7D mkII except for the 5pfs difference?

With that thought and the fact that a lot of people shoot sports with the 5D mk III, I would say that these 2 cameras will be able to handle it as well.

Besides image that 50mp file of your favorite athlete captured doing what they do best.

If they'd build pixel binning in, it might have somewhat broader appeal.

Full frame RAWs with 25mpix, or 16mpix. Increased image quality in a manageable file size. Sure, you can do it in post, but not everyone wants to slosh 100s or 1000s of 80M files all over tarnation in the first place.

I've still got my first 1D 4 mp's thats enough for anyone, I think it's 20 years old now and I would still put it up against any new camera for focus speed and accuracy

Full frame RAWs with 25mpix, or 16mpix. Increased image quality in a manageable file size. Sure, you can do it in post, but not everyone wants to slosh 100s or 1000s of 80M files all over tarnation in the first place.

It does that.

Okay, I've been looking at the reviews and videos about these cameras. I am seeing where most are positioning this as a studio/portrait/landscape camera. Only once did I see someone questions the 1.3x and 1.x6x in camera crop factor and the they also mentioned the sRaw and mRaw file sizes.

This got me to thinking, could Canon really want this to be another all around camera like the 5D mk III was? I mean sure with 50mp, it's going to be good at portraits, landscape and such. But with 2 - Digic 6 processors and the ability to crop to 1.6x and shoot a mRaw of about 24mp, wouldn't this be the same as the 7D mkII except for the 5pfs difference?

With that thought and the fact that a lot of people shoot sports with the 5D mk III, I would say that these 2 cameras will be able to handle it as well.

Besides image that 50mp file of your favorite athlete captured doing what they do best.
Personally I think Canon knows who they are targeting with this camera. Someone who sees a need for a medium format back for studio work (or architectural work, or landscape) but they can't swing the dosh to move up (20k for a camera + 5-10k per lens, yikes). Imagine that same person may also like to take the camera out of the studio to go and shoot their kids soccer game, or the family Christmas party. It's geared towards people who want/need the resolution, but maybe don't need it all the time.

Personally, I feel like this camera is right up my alley, although I think I'll wait till I can get my hands on some raw files to see if the sensor is worth the upgrade, otherwise I'll just move over to an A7R.

It does that.

Awesome. Someone at Canon is paying attention.

It does that.

The mRaw and sRaw options have been around for a while. My 5DII has them (although I've never used them).

It does that.

The mRaw and sRaw options have been around for a while. My 5DII has them (although I've never used them).

Yup, tho this does have crop sensor modes as well.

From what I've read, people are thinking that Canon will be segmenting the 5D line.

Even with the crop modes you're still at the mercy of the sensor limitations in terms of ISO range and the amount of noise.

Logic dictates that a camera with a native 20MP will outperform the crop from a higher resolution sensor with smaller, denser pixels.

Then again, it's all hypothetical until we can see the cameras in action so...Who knows...

I really wish people would stop prattling on about low light, it's not the be all end all when it comes to cameras.
Personal, for me it is extremely important, main reason I went FF and I still find myself many times wanting more, much more, much much more!
I said in the past when I will have a camera which shoots at 400000ISO same quality as current cameras shoot 100ISO I will be happy...............maybe :)
Again me!

I really wish people would stop prattling on about low light, it's not the be all end all when it comes to cameras.

Thing is cameras are so darn good overall that we really are left with low light being one of the core problem areas where we see the most net potential gain.

That said some, like myself, always want to see more gain in low light because we shoot action. Needing ISO 12800 and still being a touch underexposed to shoot action and you really do want every bit of ISO you can get and ever increase in quality.
Hallelujah, exactly!
Grain is not the only problem, loss of detail in high ISO is really painful too.

Most reactions

Back