6million or 8million - does it matter?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by OBrien, Apr 5, 2005.

1. OBrien

OBrien TPF Noob!

I’ve been asking myself the same questions many others have recently, judging from a quick trawl of the Forum – whether to get a Nikon D70 or the Canon 300/350d. Having tried all three in two different shops, I’ve decided that the D70 is the best choice for me. My overriding criteria is image quality, and having spoken to the guys in the shops, both of them said that the 18-70mm Nikon DX lens is vastly superior to the Canon 18-55mm provided on the cameras. One of them said that buying the D70 at €930 includes a lens worth €300, while the Canon for €799 has a lens worth €50. Also, I just liked the feel of the D70 a little more, which helped slightly to sway my decision

But - but - I have a little niggle in the back of my mind. D70 has 6m pixels to the 350D/Rebel XT’s 8m. Does that in any way close the gap between them in terms of image quality? I would like to be able to print 16x20. Is there any significant difference in quality between a 6m and 8m pixel shot with the same lens.

So when I saw the Canon 20d body-only ‘brand new boxed’ on ebay going for €930 it has made me stop and think. While I’ve settled the D70/Rebel question, would a body-only 20D be a better bet. I could then add a decent quality lens or two. It would cost extra…. But would it be worth it?

I don’t want to start a Nikon/Canon argument here, I suppose the crux of the issue is how important is an extra 2m pixels? AIRIC’s work on here reassures me on the D70’s image quality, (not that I could produce work like that), but I’m viewing small pictures on a small monitor, so don’t know how that translates.

Thanks all.

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Megapixels only affect print size, not image quality. The size of the sensor is what matters there, and both the D70 and 350D have similarly sized sensors. Which one gives better image quality? They are both similar. I'm biased to Canon, and in my experience, I think Canon gives better noise performance. That's just in my experience. As far as lenses are concerned maybe the d70 kit lens is better than the 350 D kit lens, but if you are really out for image quality, you wouldn't use either. Take a memory card to the shop with you, and shoot some high res jpegs from each camera, and come home and compare.

Btw, if you saw a 20D on Ebay for the same price as a D70, it's probably not reliable

3. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob TPF Noob!

To me, the difference in sensor resolution is not as important as the difference in features. I'm sure you've compared them, held the cameras, etc. If you feel the D70 has features you want/need over a Canon equivalent, then it's the right camera for you. The potential reproduction size difference between the two sensors is not as great as it seems.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are not the first person to be considering these cameras with image quality in mind...I've heard this question and all the opinions a few times before. With that in mind, here is my two cents...

Image quality is a toss up...the 20D may be a little better than either the D70 or original Digital Rebel but not by much. The image quality from any of these cameras is excellent and to those whom that the slight difference matters...tecnique and $1000 lenses will matter more than the brand on the camera.

As Bob said, the difference is features. The older Rebel was lacking but it can be hacked. The D70 has more features, as does the 20D. The new Rebel also has more features than the older model. Last month's Popular Photography had a comparison of DSLRs under $2500...pick up a copy. The Canon 20D came out the best of the bunch and I think the D70 was a close second.

5. OBrien

OBrien TPF Noob!

Thanks Matt, I hadn't realised the distinction - I'm still stuck in a film frame of mind, I have been equating pixels to grain, and assumed more pixels, less stretch in larger prints, similar to the difference between blowing up 100 and 1600iso shots.

I'm a bit wary of Ebay all right, but we tend to pay high prices for electronic goods here in Ireland due to high taxes and margins, so there are bargains to be had by buying overseas. This retailer is Canada-based, PROWINNER2000. Has high satisfaction ratings and it is body-only, so it's possible. If anyone has any knowledge of the seller I'd be glad to hear about it.

Bob/Mike - thanks for the responses.

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, yes, the more pixels, the less stretch in larger prints, but to me, image quality is not how large of a print you can get. Image quality is the quality of the image on the negative. If you want to shoot for a billboard, you don't use 35mm. Doesn't mean 35mm doesn't offer outstanding image quality.

Grain though, or "noise" is affected by the size of the sensor, and the noise reduction processes being run on the image.

The overall image quality will be a combination of sensor, glass, and your technique.

7. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    well OBrien... I had the same problem and I had a chance to play about an hour with d70 and canon 20d. And then I saw the shots and I'm slightly more optimistic for nikon :) But I still need some advice :)

8. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm gonna go way up the thread here and say to you concerns about a 6mp sensor at 16x20, i printed a 20x30 from my pentax istD and it look great (better than a lot of 8x10s i've gotten printed. So that image size should be fine for making a print of that size.

9. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    you're talking about centimeters or inches or what?

10. OBrien

OBrien TPF Noob!

Excellent - that's good to hear! (He's talking inches Mentos).Thanks.

11. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    holy crap! so it IS a huge print!!! I thought youw ere speaking about cm :)

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit