6x6 vs 6x7

crotograph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For those experienced in MF photography. I have had a Mamiya m645 for some years and done quite a bit of portrait photography with same. I am considering stepping up to a used Bronica SQ Ai or Mamiya RB 67. I have studied both on the 'net and found that each is considered a very good to excellent camera. I realize that Bronica is no longer made by Tamron and there is the chance of repair issues in the future. However, this question is about negative size and the actual difference between 6 x 6 and 6x7. Does that centimeter make a HUGE difference in negative quality and enlargement?

I have a 6x6. I read that the 6x7 is easier to get a good crop. At times I get stymied with trying to get the crop I want.

For negative quality, no, it's not a huge difference. If you've shot much with square format, then you're used to those cropping challenges. Some people find the 6x7 format easier, simply because it will enlarge to a perfect 8x10. You won't get that with a 6x6. :)

Thanks for the advice. I bought the RB67 pro SD. When it came down to it I wanted the larger negative. Also, I wanted the versatility the RB has. I hadn't realized that it would take up to a 6x8 plus sheet film with the proper adapters.

Weight will not be too much of an issue, I use a tripod or monopod for most work anyway. After downloading the manual from Mamiyas site I find I have a bit of study ahead as I get familiar with the camera. Haven't used a leaf shutter lens in years. :lol:

I used to own the RB67 Pro-S and the rotating back is a wonder. But that's what makes it a monster of a camera. And I think it's the "Z" (?) series lenses which are of the same quality as the optics in the RZ67 line only difference is that they are mechanical.

What I didn't like was the need for exposure compensation because of the bellows focusing involved. I've switched over to a Hasselblad, which I've always gotten better negatives from. I think in general, Mamiya lenses are just a bit softer than Hassy lenses. But when I look at Mark Seliger's photographs, I always want to go out and grab a Mamiya...so much detail, they look like they came from a 4x5 camera.

Although I really do like the 6x7 format. When I'm in the darkroom enlarging a 6x6 negative with cropping in order to fill an 8x10, I feel a lot goes to waste. Not with 6x7.

Can't say anything about Bronica.

Most reactions

Back