70-200 2.8 IS with scratch?

OGsPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im about to pull he trigger and buy a 70-200.

After getting off the phone with canon and Henrys ( the teo kind of local sources in Canada, I checked a local classified and suprise suprise there is an add for a ' barely scratched' lens for $1200. Its v1.

I will be into $3, 000 for a new v2.

Is there any way a lens can be scratched and NOT affect IQ or be seen ever, and does it really matter? 1800 is a truck load of pennies but I dont want to be a sucker either and buy a Fd up lens.

Please advise

Alsk is V2 worth the extra 1,800.

Could get a rated ( good, no scratch) v1 for 2k at reputable dealer.....

Decisions are not easy about lenses.

There's lots of front element damage that will have no or minimal perceptible impact on IQ. That said, if you do decide to go for it, check it thoroughly, and by that I mean shoot it, stopped down, into the sun and all angles to 90 degrees off axis, shoot it at 70, 140ish and 200mm and then pixel peep the hell out of the images.

What part of it is scratched? If it's scratched on the barrel or tripod ring, definitely no bid deal. If it's on the glass, still might be OK.

I assume you're talking about the IS version since there is no v2 of the non-IS? If so and its in good working condition I would jump on it. It's a tough lens and not easy to find. I bought a 70-200 f2.8 L IS v1 used. It's seen a good deal of use and was not babied - plenty of dings and scratches on the barrel, paint worn off the tripod ring. It still performs like it's brand new.

V1 is fine if you don't want to spend the extra scratch on the v2. V2 is definitely better but worth an extra $? Not IMHO.

Im about to pull he trigger and buy a 70-200.

After getting off the phone with canon and Henrys ( the teo kind of local sources in Canada, I checked a local classified and suprise suprise there is an add for a ' barely scratched' lens for $1200. Its v1.

I will be into $3, 000 for a new v2.

Is there any way a lens can be scratched and NOT affect IQ or be seen ever, and does it really matter? 1800 is a truck load of pennies but I dont want to be a sucker either and buy a Fd up lens.

Please advise

Alsk is V2 worth the extra 1,800.

Could get a rated ( good, no scratch) v1 for 2k at reputable dealer.....

Decisions are not easy about lenses.

yes, decisions about lens are never easy~
a "barely scratched" 70-200 could be worth buying, I would only get it if I could thoroughly test it out before buying

ive had good experiences buying from Henrys.
might be a better option than a craigslist deal with no recourse afterwards.
i believe henrys offers a short return policy even on used equipment.

Most reactions

Back