70-200 2.8L or 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS for Alaska

redneck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone

It would be much appreciated if you could help me out with the following question :

I am going back to Alaska for the summer and am upgrading my film (Nikon) SLR kit to digital, camera will be a Canon 20D with the 10-22 for my landscape shots. I will be visiting Brooks Camp for the grizzlies and am torn between the 70-200 2.8L with a 1.4 TC giving me a maximum 448mm at f4 with the 20D's 1.6x factor or the 100-400L 4.5-5.6 IS, this would give me a maximum of 640mm without having to use a TC but will be slower.

Has anyone been to Brooks?, I understand they can get quite close to the viewing platform but I am concerned that my shutter speeds will be too slow with the 100-400 to freeze the action. The advantage of the 100-400 will be being able to (possibly) fill the frame and even more so with the 1.4 TC although that will lose another stop of light. Also 100-400 has IS although I intend to shoot mostly from a tripod. I also understand that the 100-400 is a bit soft wide open and given its a bit slow I expect It will have to be wide open to keep the shutter speeds up with the overcast weather that is fairly frequent up there.

Thanks

Jason

My suggestion is to get 70-200 F2.8L IS and the 2x teleconverter giving you a max of 640mm at F4 plus the IS.

I've been checking around but I can't find the Canon page that stated the widest aperture would be F4 with the 2x converter on the 70-200F2.8 lens again.
B&H has a chart that states the widest would be F5.6 and that makes sense because of the two stop difference it makes but I researched this a while back and I'm positive Canon had a chart that stated F4 but since I can't find it I guess it's F5.6 but either way with the IS feature it should make up for the longer shutter opening.
HTH.

Most reactions

Back