70 -200 f/2.8L IS or 70- 200 f/4.0L IS

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by phototrek, May 4, 2009.

1. phototrek

phototrek TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am thinking of buying one of these lens for landscape photos. I already have the non-IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8L. So do you guys think I should upgrade to the IS version or get the f/4.0L IS version. I usually do not shoot at dusk or early morning light. If I have to I always have the non IS version. Also, which lens will be good for the new 5D2 camera I will buy in the future?

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Although I do not have the 70-200mm range L lens, but personally, I will not jump from F/2.8 non-IS to F/4 IS.

What is the limitation of the current lens that make you think you need the IS feature? Camera shake?

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are shooting landscape, you likely won't need to shoot at F2.8, so the F4 version would likely be sufficient.

However, when shooting landscapes, you should be using a tripod, so you wouldn't need IS either.

4. phototrek

phototrek TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Even though a tripod would be nice, carry a tripod is not convenient. I always hand hold my lenes. I was just thinking that the IS would be great to have. Also, I can have a lighter backpack with the f/4.0L IS.

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    IS is not a substitute for raw speed. If you feel you need IS, don't sacrifice a wide aperture for it, get the f/2.8 IS.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sometimes getting creating great photos isn't convenient ;)

But yes, if you are going to be taking landscape shots hand-held, then IS would certainly be an advantage.

7. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have the F2.8 and you want another 70-200, I would suggest the F4 non IS> I have it and the 2.8L IS. The F4 is much lighter, smaller, and even sharper. I tend to use it for a lighter lens when I am going to be out and about a lot in a day.