70-200 nikon-sigma or tamron

I have the Tamron and love it. With TC, though, it is manual focus only. It's the best cost benefit, by far. Nikon and Tamron are business partners. Sigma is not. If you make money out of your photos, maybe the Nikon price is justifiable (maybe not), otherwise I'd recommend the Tamron.

Sample shots:
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - an album on Flickr

I'm curious to know what TC you're using. A telephoto 2.8 lens with proper TC should AF just fine. My Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4x TC has both the electronic contacts for AF-S lenses, as well as the screw drive assembly to operate the older AF type lenses. My Tokina 300 f/4 and Nikon 80-200 2.8 work fantastic with the TC. Even my cheaper Tamron 70-300 VC will AF in good light with the TC (albeit slower).

I use the Bower 2x DGII Teleconverter (7 Elements) for Nikon, that works great with all my lenses, including this Tamron, and even the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S. But with the Tamron, it is manual focus only. This is an issue with this Tamron lens. Even the Tamron own TC don't AF with it (it looks like Tamron is abandoning TC products in general).

But I like manual focus, if the subject is not moving. Moreover, with the DX mode I still get 15Mpix with a 1.5x crop mode of my D810, so that decreases the need for TCs, anyhow.

Here is a sample shot of mine with the Tamron and the 2x TC, at 400mm and f/5.6, in my D5200. Very sharp and with very nice bokeh.

Zoológico de Chapultepec | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
I have yet to see a 2x TC work very well with any lens unless it's the Nikon brand TC. Even then it only works well with the extremely high end (read several $1000) super telephoto 2.8 lenses.

I would be curious to try for myself the new Tamron 70-200 VC with the Kenko or even a Nikon 1.4x TC to see how it performs.

I have yet to see a 2x TC work very well with any lens unless it's the Nikon brand TC. Even then it only works well with the extremely high end (read several $1000) super telephoto 2.8 lenses.

I would be curious to try for myself the new Tamron 70-200 VC with the Kenko or even a Nikon 1.4x TC to see how it performs.

Please let us know, if you do test them together.

buy them. try it. post results along with samples of each for pixel peepers.

buy them. try it. post results along with samples of each for pixel peepers.

I appear to be prompting a bit of sarcasm.

Not likely that's going to happen, although there is a local camera shop to me that fortunately is a Tamron dealer. May take the D7k and my Kenko TC down sometime to see if they work together.

Please let us know, if you do test them together.

I ordered last week of ebay the Kenko 2x TC, waiting to get it to see how it will work on my Tamron.
I read an article that clamed that this converter works well with this lens and so I bought it hoping not to be disapointed.
Will know in few days once I get it :)

I ordered last week of ebay the Kenko 2x TC, waiting to get it to see how it will work on my Tamron.
I read an article that clamed that this converter works well with this lens and so I bought it hoping not to be disapointed.

Please let us know...
Good luck

As an owner of a Nikon 70-200 2.8, I would rather bring the New Nikon 80-400 to Costa Rica TBH. FX or DX but particularly FX for the reach.

My less than 2 cents worth. ;)

Please let us know...
Good luck

I will most defintly do that if it will be good.

Wouldn't the 80-400 be slow and not so good in darker places like the jungle?

The newest version of the 80-400 isn't slow.

I have the Tamron and love it. With TC, though, it is manual focus only. It's the best cost benefit, by far. Nikon and Tamron are business partners. Sigma is not. If you make money out of your photos, maybe the Nikon price is justifiable (maybe not), otherwise I'd recommend the Tamron.

Sample shots:
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - an album on Flickr
I have the Tamron 70-200 and a Tamron 1.4 TC and the lens focuses on my D7100 without a problem.

i rented the tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC and also the nikon 24-70 f2.8 and it seems that tamron lens are very sharp in image quality. i would recommend the tamron 70-200. im a very big fan of the tamron lenses.

Most reactions

Back