70-200 or 24-70 for Dance Portraits? Rent?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by iflynething, Apr 26, 2010.

1. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Right now I only have a 18-135 as a semi wide angle lens. The mount is partially broken and I think we all know this lens is SSLLLLOOOW!!!

I have alot going on in May: 2 weddings, a portrait session for a dance studio, and a dance recital.

The main thing I am concerned about is the dance portraits. It will be an entire week of shooting and I would have enough room to shoot with my 70-200 and get entire groups framed (up to 30 dancers (ages 6-16)) but I also considered renting the Nikon 24-70 for like 45 days from lensrentals.com. It's about $150. I do not remember. But I was thinking about the 2.8 speed on this lens and it's super sharp and I figure it might come in handy during the wedding but am not sure how much use it would get during dance portraits. I also have a 28 2.8 which is amazingly sharp that I could use for the wedding but wouldn't have the versatility of a zoom.

What would you get? Just use the 70-200 since you would have enough room or just do both?

~Michael~

2. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    from what ive read, the 24-70 is an amazing lens. I'd rent it, just to wide your available focal range. The 70-200 might be a little too long for a full wide shot, without being rather far away.

Be careful. Ive seen many rent it, then buy it soon after.:mrgreen:

3. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the 24-70 is exceptional. I know someone who owns one and have had photos taken of my sister and I and they are super sharp, of course he was shooting a D3 also.

I haven't actaully experimented to see how far a back I would need to be, but as said, it would be too far.

I greatly lust for this lens but can't justify the price. Maybe if I did some more wedding I would consider it more, just not right now.

From LensRentals.com - Rent Canon, Nikon, Olympus, or Sony Lenses and Cameras it's $201 for 21 days (May 7-21st) and www.prophotorental.com it's $225. So I think I will do the 21 days since that will cover everything I would need it for

I need the speed

~Michael~

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    70-200 is a GREAT LENS but not for what you need on a cropped body so then you're looking at 24-70. Few weeks ago I was doing an engagement shoot with 70-200 mounted on D300. I had to be over 20 feet away in order to smoothly use 70-200 (70-100mm). Plus the weight of that lens and all that on cropped body - isn't worth it.
    Now my self, I rarely shoot people wider then f/5.6; details I'll shoot wider, people No (thats me and my style) so the "slow" lens you're referring to is actually a decent lens IF you know its weaknesses and how to go around them. I've shot weddings with "crappy" 18-105, 18-200 lenses and THANK G-D! :) haven't had any issue in terms of IQ or focus speed or whatever.

5. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes it is a great lens!

I have been able to shoot with my 18-135 that came with my D80 and they turned out nice but if I had the optioin, I would much rather have the 24-70 for sharpness and speed.

~Michael~

6. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Micheal,
    By default Nikon is a bit soften then let's say Canon (I have a pleasure of working with various Nikon and Canon bodies and lenses). Lenses such as 18-200, 18-105, 18-135 are also soft by default. Little trick i was taught is to boost the sharpness up. On all of my Nikons in picture control my sharpness is set to 5-7. SPEED, that is a whole different story :)

7. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have mine set to about 30 but I do most of my processing in camera raw

~Michael~

8. max3k

max3k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the heads up on The Lens Depot.

They are reasonably priced, especially for that 17-55!

~Michael~