70-200 questions

Resale value could be another. Case by case bases. What if I got a new camera body that did not communicate well with my already purchased Tamron? DARN.

That could happen to me at some point.

I've officially made up my mind. Monday, I'll be picking up my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC. The Canon was a close second. I am, however, playing with the Canon 70-200 IS v2 this weekend. So far, wide open, it's not really any better than the Tamron, and for so much more money. Might just be this example. I'm picking the Tamron because I want to buy new and support local business. And that 6 year warranty... Besides, I also settled on a new Tamron 28-75 2.8 as well.

Hopefully less than an hour until I have both in my hands. :D We'll see on the 28-75 though. It may not be in yet.

Hope the lenses you got are not as heavy as mine. I havent had the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 very long but I am not enjoying using it, I mostly use the 24-70 f/4 because its lighter. The 70-200 is an awesome lens but dayum is right. Maybe I ought to lift weights to get used to it, it cost too much to store in its bag!

Get your swole on.

Oh this thing isn't light. The non-VC version isn't that heavy, though, but I wanted the VC for a number of reasons. My 28-75 won't be here until tomorrow-I had to order it because some asshat bought it out from under me... lol. Saved me $200 though.

:)

You totally get used to the extra weight, and having the grip helps. I don't even notice it anymore, seems normal to me. Everything else just feels light.

Even at 6 lbs for body and lens it just doesn't seem that heavy. One thing that probably helps is I use a shoulder strap rather than a neck strap.

Agree 100% battery grip and shoulder strap make big lenses so much more enjoyable.

My old boss and I bench tested the Tamron vs the Canon today. He has the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II. Quite literally, the Tamron was sharper in the center. We took photos of the text on top of an old Photogenic strobe from about 25 feet away, then zoomed in in Camera Raw t 300%. There is some quite pronounced vignetting wide open at 200mm, but that's nothing you can't fix in Lightroom. The results were rather surprising, but I feel that the Canon is NOT worth the extra $1000. My verdict? Go with the Tamron and use Lightroom to rid yourself of any vignette.

As for battery grip, I dunno. We'll see. I had one on my 7D and was kinda indifferent about it. Not sure I wanna spend the money on it.

The strap is a necessity. I don't want a BlackRapid strap or anything that goes into the tripod mount, though.

If you are a pixel peeper go with the Tamron, it has image stabilistation as good as the IS version from Canon.
If you are looking for a brand lens go with the No IS version of 70-200 from Canon.

As for battery grip, I dunno. We'll see. I had one on my 7D and was kinda indifferent about it. Not sure I wanna spend the money on it.

It really does help; noticeably.

I use an Op/Tech strap that attaches from one of the strap loops. I hate tripod mount straps as well.

I ended up getting a Peak Designs Slide strap. Holy crap is that thing strong. It mounts either in the tripod socket OR the strap lugs, the latter of which being where I mounted mine.

Most reactions

Back