70-200 Wiggles at base!

OGsPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My lens seems to have about a 1mm wiggle. I feel it slip a bit and if I try to move it it does. Just got this 2 days ago. It should be tight tight right?

I have the same on mine, apparently it's normal. I discussed it with a technician at the shop, and he said all lenses have it, you just notice it more on the longer/heavier lenses.

That doesn't sound normal to me. All of my lenses are tight. If the 300 2.8 doesn't move, a 70-200 definitely should not.

Its a " tiny" amount but I can sure feel it and would rather not break either piece of gear.

I'll call canon.

Thanks guys!

A couple of my lenses have a tiny bit of wriggle - in fact my tightest is a Tokina 35mm.

In general a tiny amount of play is nothing to be worried about and simply reflects tiny imperfections in massproduction (which might be your camera or your lens or both). It shouldn't have any effect on image quality (its rotational so not moving back or forward); and with the lens lock in place it shouldn't have any chance of slipping free.

In general it is true; new purchases and big lenses tend to show this more than cheap lighter lenses or old ones (go have a look you might have another that has a tiny bit of play that you've never noticed).

I wouldn't worry about it; a tiny amount of play won't be a problem.

My Canon 70-200 L has play in it at the body mount, but is far from 1 mm. In fact, it's such a small amount that I can't see the movement, but can feel it.

You're always going to get a bit of play in the shaft. I suggest gripping the base and tugging on the the end to see if that makes it worse.

Is it axial or radial movement?

Turns a bit. Dont know if that axial or radial

Thanks for all the encouraging comments glad its not a dud.

Radial would be basically rotational - ergo movement within the mount itself as if turning the lens just like you turn it when you fit the lens to the camera. This is the motion most of us have been talking about above and is generally a non-issue where its only very slight movement.

Axial would be where the movement is up and down (or side to side etc..) ergo the lens dipping or moving up and down when the camera is held straight. This kind of motion would be of more concern because it would have a chance of moving the elements out of perfect alignment with the sensor and thus produce a softer shot.

Definitely radial.

It is not normal. The lens should not move at all in the mount. There are some bad lenses made today with plastic mounts and I suppose those could wear rapidly. You shouldn't settle for any movement at all.

Most reactions

Back