70-200

The Sigma OS HSM is excellent. I'd be hard pressed to find the tamron any better.

There are many pro's and publications that agree that the new Tamron is the best third party 70 - 200 2.8 right now.

And that's fine, but in my own personal experience and use I'm still not seeing what the Sigma lacks, or needs improving on.

The Sigma OS HSM is excellent. I'd be hard pressed to find the tamron any better.

There are many pro's and publications that agree that the new Tamron is the best third party 70 - 200 2.8 right now.

And that's fine, but in my own personal experience and use I'm still not seeing what the Sigma lacks, or needs improving on.

Well from the reading/research I did before purchasing mine the real difference between the Sigma and the Tamron probably wouldn't be something you'd see on a crop sensor camera. I've never shot the Tamron so I can only go by what I read, but apparently the corners on the Tamron are sharper wide open. On an full frame body you might notice this difference on shots that were taken at 2.8, on a crop sensor body you probably wouldn't. The Tamron of course is also more expensive, so unless your looking at using it on full frame I'd still probably recommend the Sigma.

Well from the reading/research I did before purchasing mine the real difference between the Sigma and the Tamron probably wouldn't be something you'd see on a crop sensor camera. I've never shot the Tamron so I can only go by what I read, but apparently the corners on the Tamron are sharper wide open. On an full frame body you might notice this difference on shots that were taken at 2.8, on a crop sensor body you probably wouldn't. The Tamron of course is also more expensive, so unless your looking at using it on full frame I'd still probably recommend the Sigma.

I'm shooting on a D800

I'm shooting on a D800

Well then you might notice a difference between the two in the corners on shots taken at 2.8 - but it probably wouldn't be a huge difference at least from what I've read. Also the sources I found that mention this type of test say that if you stop the Sigma down to as much as 3.2 and what little advantage the Tamron had disappears. I use my Sigma 70-200 on a D5200 so there would be no noticeable difference in IQ between the two on my DX body.

I went with the Sigma because frankly the slight advantage it would have on a full frame wasn't worth the price difference in my eyes, since I have no plans to upgrade to full frame. Especially since I got lucky and found a used Sigma with OS for a deal I just couldn't pass up. All in all I've been extremely pleased with it and never regretted my choice.

Ok what is the difference between the tamron A001 and A009

The A001 is older, and is not image stabilized (no VC). It's also noisier and slower (no USD motor).

The A009 is the newer version, with VC. It's better. It adds VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilisation and an USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) autofocusing mechanism.

read:
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (A009) Lens - Photo Review

There is no VC in the Sony mount, it's built into the bodies on Sony camera's
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di USD Zoom Lens for Sony AFA009S-700

If you have the money, the newest version of the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 is rated with the best focus and image quality, of the 3rd party lenses. I believe its rated better than the current sony lens as well. I have the old Tamron and I like it a lot. Im waiting on the 150-600 tamron....patiently.
I just purchased the New Tamron 70-200 and I am very impressed. I have the Canon version as well, and I can honestly say for $1000 less..... this lens is stellar!

I sold my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 in order to purchase the new Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I use a D800E. The Tamron is a noticeably better lens in every regard except vignetting - but that's easily fixed with software. I've also compared the Tamron with a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 borrowed from a friend, and both agree that the Tamron is better - except for vignetting.

8569904722_f500fa96f2_c.jpg

Speaking of quality, I got a full set of Kobalt rachets and wrenches for my bday. Theyre awesome!

I got a sigma 50mm got my nex-7 and returned it for the sony version ($80 more) because the auto focus was considerably slower.

So I was in the store the other day and they had a Sony 70-200 G first version for the same price as a new Tamron would you guys go for the Sony or ate you guys still on the tamron

Most reactions

Back