70-200mm and 1.7x Tele

Wolverinepwnes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am always scared to have the lens and the tele on my D300s and have the camera hanving off my shoulder so I'm always holding the lens when i'm walking, and this gets a little tiresome! am i being paranoid? can the lens and tele just hang off the camera or should I be holding them all the time so the wieght is not on the camera body?

I run around with my D300s > 1.7x tele > 70-200mm all the time. I generally just have the camera in my right hand. No strap, so support. I've never had an issue. Never even really thought about it.

So when you're not using it its just dangling on your shoulder, or where ever, no prob right?

Yes no problem at all, don't give it a second thought.

I've seen people do this with their plastic D40s without issue. I wouldn't worry about this with your all metal body.

I know the feeling. I actually do not use a strap. Any serious shooting I do, I usualy carry my pack and put the camera right in the bag and pull it out when needed. I have a one strap Tamrack pack.. it swings around all nice like.

I personally do not dangle my camera around my neck with anything but my 50 f1.4 lens. I am paranoid with my 17-55 f2.8 enough to have the strap around my neck but hold the lens in my hand. I might dangle it if I am handing the food guy some change and getting my taco or whatever at the track but definately do NOT let it just bounce around. With the 70-200 f2.8 I would NEVER hang it. I hold onto the lens - actually I cradle the setup like a baby on my arm. Same with the 300 f2.8 - not around the neck, hold the lens baby. It just is not worth takign the chance of the camera slapping a brick wall or whatever as it is dangling there.

Man Bevel you need camera insurance if you're that paranoid. :)

$350 / year covers some $7000 worth of equipment to accidental damage.

:lol:

Watch just about any Auto racing, and keep an eye out for the pros who run up & down pit lane carrying their big gun on a monopod and two other cameras slung over their shoulders bouncing all over the place.

I will walk around an event with the 70-200 on the camera thrown over the shouder without giving it a second thought.

$7K doesn't come close topcovering my camera bag.

I am one of those guys you see (MotoGP, AMA...) And yes some guys who buy new gear at each new model release dangle their gear....

But I think that's crazy. I have had my gear literally pounded in the photog area after a motoGP race where the riders come in and get off their bikes - it is pure meyham. I have had my gear torn from my hands etc at the base of The Corkscrew during the firdt couple laps of a motoGP race....

It aint pretty sometimes so I takr the cautous route. Even when at the park with the family, I am holding the 70-200 not relying on the strap around my neck. And I don't know too many pro photographers that do either.

But you do what you want and take whatever risks your wallet can afford to.

Lol who said anything about your whole bag. Just the body and the lenses most likely to break it. If you're worried well the 50mm probably won't snap your mount, and the 300mm's 3kg is more likely to snap your neck. :)

Btw your anecdotal comment is good and fine, but I haven't seen a single pro wedding photographer who doesn't run around with the 70-200 workhorse dangling from the body around their belly, especially if they shoot with multiple bodies.

I am of the opinion that if bodies were likely to suddenly snap and fail as a result of hanging a lens that oh so very many photographers own, we'd hear a lot more about it. So far my googling just turns up stories of cheap plastic mounts.

Another thing to consider:
Nikkor 70-200 VR 1 = 1.43kg
Nikon D3 = 1.26kg
Nikon D200 = 0.93kg (without grip)

Reading this; if the mount is that sensitive it doesn't matter if you hold the camera or the lens. It'll break regardless since the stress on it is very similar. In any case we are talking about a magnesium alloy holding a 1mm aluminium ring to which the lens clips. As someone who does a bit of metal work, and as someone who has dropped the D200+grip with an 80-200 attached onto a hard floor, these mounts can sustain quite the abuse.

That probably won't change your mind though, but I envy you if this is the most of your worries :)

Another thing to consider:
Nikkor 70-200 VR 1 = 1.43kg
Nikon D3 = 1.26kg
Nikon D200 = 0.93kg (without grip)

Reading this; if the mount is that sensitive it doesn't matter if you hold the camera or the lens. It'll break regardless since the stress on it is very similar. In any case we are talking about a magnesium alloy holding a 1mm aluminium ring to which the lens clips. As someone who does a bit of metal work, and as someone who has dropped the D200+grip with an 80-200 attached onto a hard floor, these mounts can sustain quite the abuse.

That probably won't change your mind though, but I envy you if this is the most of your worries :)

well...no, theyre similar weights, but a lens puts that weight a fair distance from the mount, which would put more strain on it. its like if you try lifting a broom with both your hands right next to each other on the very end of the handle, the weight of the broom being that far away from the lifting source puts a lot of strain and pressure on your hands.

that said, i still dont think there is too much to worry about with the whole lens holding/camera hanging issue, its like garbz said, if it was an issue, we'd hear alot more about it

I figured someone would say that. :) I'll just leave it with: given the weights of the camera and the abuse that these bodies must withstand the mounts are dramatically over engineered anyway.

Most reactions

Back