70-200mm f/2.8

You might not care about the color, but I am sure Nikon does. Canon has been doing the white-ish lens for a while now, and man has it been a marketing success.

In marketing, it is very dangerous for a company to mimic the marketing strategy of another. Generally sends out a message to their customer base that they lack innovation to come up with their own. Simply put it becomes "cheesy" and degrades the branding. Canon did very well... the marketing guy that came up with that white lens idea deserved a good paycheck.

I think the "crackle" anthracite or grey finish would be great. The crackle finish would add a bit more grip to the entire lens.

I wish canon made them in black though as well, I actually contemplated taking a sharpie to it and making my own black Canon 70-200 mm F/2.8L. I talked myself out of it though.

Before you resort to sharpies and spray paint, check this out:
http://www.lenscoat.com/

In marketing, it is very dangerous for a company to mimic the marketing strategy of another. Generally sends out a message to their customer base that they lack innovation to come up with their own. Simply put it becomes "cheesy" and degrades the branding.

Totally agree, especially when something is so obviously associated with one company.

I own the nikon 70-200 VR and it is an awesome lens. I use it mainly for weddings, especially during ceremonies where I can get close to the action from a distance.

Obviously, it can be used for other types of photography.

I try to keep the shutter speed at least 1/250 to keep images sharp.

Travis
www.tjphotography.com

I own the nikon 70-200 VR and it is an awesome lens. I use it mainly for weddings, especially during ceremonies where I can get close to the action from a distance.

Obviously, it can be used for other types of photography.

I try to keep the shutter speed at least 1/250 to keep images sharp.

Travis
www.tjphotography.com

That's defeating the purpose of the VR! :p

But in terms of freezing the action its not, VR wont help you there.

I think its amazing that your shoting indoors in a dim lit church shooting at 1/250 and im guessing without a flash.

Oh well, my 70-200mm f/2.8 should be here by thursday.

well I have a Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS and a Canon 300mm F2.8 IS

I use them for wildlife both with and without Canon Extenders and I have also used them for Sports.

I've also used to 300mm F2.8 to take photos of flowers, I get a few funny looks when I'm doing that :lol:

At the weddding I shot awhile ago, even an f/2.8 would have been too slow. I did a pretty good job getting stuff with my 85/1.8 though. 1.4 would have been even better! No flash stinks! With regards to using these things indoors, geeze I use my 70-300VR right out to 200-300mm in my own living room, LOL. I like nice tight head shots.

I'd love to get a 70-200VR but can't possibly justify it at the moment. I'd get a used 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D which is almost a no brainer, except that my D40 won't drive the screw driven focus. My D80 will, but I'm trying to avoid anymore non AF-S glass. One of these Sigmas or this new Tamron might have to hold me over. I'd definitely like an f/2.8 telephoto zoom for faily use, but for now I'm getting by fine with my 70-300VR. I just beat up flash batteries some more.

Should be getting my sigma 70-200mm soon. Ill be using it mainly on a D1H but i look forward to seeing how it works with my d40x. Ill keep you guys updated.

The 70-200 f2.8 L and the 100-400 L both make great candid portrait lenses

These were taken at a distance with a 100-400L. Putting you subjects at a distance leaves them un threatened by the camrea and makes for great pics
PintailPoint051.jpg

PintailPoint047.jpg

PintailPoint043.jpg

Love the bokeh!

You might not care about the color, but I am sure Nikon does. Canon has been doing the white-ish lens for a while now, and man has it been a marketing success. Anyone that sees my with my camera automatically asks me if its a Canon because they have noticed most Canon users have the "white stuff".

I don't mean to thread jack, but didn't Canon have a practical purpose for making the bigger L's white? I thought i read something somewhere about heat expansion of the fluorite elements. Or is it just marketing kool-aid?

Chances are its a little of both. I remember reading an adverstisment in a magazine a few years ago saying "White is cooler". And it went on to explain that they don't overheat or something when shooting out in the hot sun. Im pretty sure no one has ever been shooting with a black one and had it spontaneously combust, lol.

I think its amazing that your shoting indoors in a dim lit church shooting at 1/250 and im guessing without a flash.

If he is shooting at 1/250th in a church, let's hope that he used the meter and is shooting at that speed becuase he can. With the 70-200, I see no reason he cannot, if the meter says he can.

There are certain parts and times of the day in my local place to practice at (St-Joseph's Oratory in Montreal), that I can shoot at 1/250th or faster.

I guess once i get mine it will all make sense =)

Most reactions

Back