70-200mm nikon on a D40

th3_man89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
recently I went to a rental shop to try on the 70 - 200 mm nikon on my D40. the weight difference is significant between the camera (500g) and the lens (1.5kg).

one thing that i worried about is if I sling it, the camera will face down due to the lens weight. will it damage the mount or the strap holder on the body???

yes the AF works well since its a AF-S 70 - 200 mm. anyway, i will not be using the tripod, so i was thinking of putting one end of the strap to the body while the other end to the lens mount. how is it??

We talking the 2.8 70-200mm nikon?...if so...badass lense...but isnt that like shooting Diamond bullets out of a pellet gun...why the 1500$ lens on a 400$ camera?....

not talking **** but i would just go for the 70-300 nikon

We talking the 2.8 70-200mm nikon?...if so...badass lense...but isnt that like shooting Diamond bullets out of a pellet gun...why the 1500$ lens on a 400$ camera?.....

Future investment, and that lens will work FINE on his current camera.

In photography, there are 2 things that one should get the best that they can afford... lenses and lighting. While bodies change, your lenses and light sources will pull you through the tough shots.

We talking the 2.8 70-200mm nikon?...if so...badass lense...but isnt that like shooting Diamond bullets out of a pellet gun...why the 1500$ lens on a 400$ camera?....
1) No, it's not. The D40 is a perfectly-good DSLR.
2) Why not? For most people, lenses are always a much larger investment than the body.

how about my question about the possible damage in the mount or strap? any insight??
The mount is what I'd be more concerned about. Support the heavier component or, better, support both and it should be fine.

As for the strap, stop worrying about it, tt's not going to spontaneously snap. If it does break, go buy another one for $2.50.

As an aside, carrying this lens around on ANY camera is going to be heavy. Normal good practice means that you are cradling this lens in your arms whenever walking around anyways. If left hanging from the neck, the last 2 things to worry about are the camera or lens mounts... what you WILL be worrying about is your neck and how sore it will soon get if just left hanging there.

As an aside, carrying this lens around on ANY camera is going to be heavy. Normal good practice means that you are cradling this lens in your arms whenever walking around anyways. If left hanging from the neck, the last 2 things to worry about are the camera or lens mounts... what you WILL be worrying about is your neck and how sore it will soon get if just left hanging there.
Exactly! While it doesnt bother my neck I do cradle my larger lenses.

Most reactions

Back