70-300mm Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JPT, Sep 8, 2008.

1. JPT

JPT TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey,

I was wondering what you guys thought of this lens.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-Telephoto-Minolta-Cameras/dp/B000B8T6DI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1220556435&sr=1-1[/ame]

I am new to photography and I have a Sony A200 (Please no camera bashing :p )

I know the lens isn't the best lens ever or anything, far from it most likely.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That was the first (non kit) lens I used and I found it to be a lens that - whilst cheap - is a very good all round learner. It tries to do a little bit of everything and thus does not do everything well, but its good enough for many and its a good learning lens.
    Overall if you are new and things like 300mm, 270mm, macro and such are all new terms to you and you like to photograph things slighter further off (wildlife sports) then its a lens you can start learning and understanding those things as well as good shooting skills, and also (most importantly) that your best friend is a tripod :).

If you can get the better APO version of the lens.

3. Mitch1640

Mitch1640 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have the tamron version of that lens but mine is for nikon and i like it very much. i think the price is the same or very close and iv heard that the tamron is much sharper but the auto focusing is slower. in the end im quite impressed with the lens.

4. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit