72 PPI HELP?!

It's easy enough to verify if you're resampling an image by accident. PPI means nothing without print size specified. Again look at the graphic in my first response. When the PPI changed the print size changed. In that case PPI is meaningless because when the print size changes back the PPI changes back. What you don't want to see happen is the PPI change and the print size stay unchanged. That would be a resample which would in fact do harm to your photo.

Joe

It's easy enough to verify if you're resampling an image by accident. PPI means nothing without print size specified. Again look at the graphic in my first response. When the PPI changed the print size changed. In that case PPI is meaningless because when the print size changes back the PPI changes back. What you don't want to see happen is the PPI change and the print size stay unchanged. That would be a resample which would in fact do harm to your photo.

Joe

Wow so interesting! I did not know all of this. Yes, the resample box is checked off, so it should be fine. How can I check past photos if I kept "resample checked " though?

Is this what it should look like? Do i want it to resample "Automatically" or Bilinear? OR some other setting?

See Below

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 9.31.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 9.31.51 AM.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 112

Joe

Wow so interesting! I did not know all of this. Yes, the resample box is checked off, so it should be fine. How can I check past photos if I kept "resample checked " though?

Look at the pixel dimensions. What's the resolution of your camera? pixels by pixels. For example to make that graphic I posted I had to open a photo. My camera's resolution is 6000 by 4000 pixels -- 6000 x 4000 = 24,000,000 a 24 megapixel sensor. I did a little cropping to that photo and my final result was 5314 x 3751 pixels. I'm going to make sure from that point on that those pixel dimensions don't ever change.

Joe

Joe

Look at the pixel dimensions. What's the resolution of your camera? pixels by pixels. For example to make that graphic I posted I had to open a photo. My camera's resolution is 6000 by 4000 pixels -- 6000 x 4000 = 24,000,000 a 24 megapixel sensor. I did a little cropping to that photo and my final result was 5314 x 3751 pixels. I'm going to make sure from that point on that those pixel dimensions don't ever change.

Joe

I'm shooting on a Canon Mark IV - so I believe its 6720 X 4480 - so if i check all the photos from the session and they are all 6720 X 4480, then I am good to go, correct?

Is this what it should look like? Do i want it to resample "Automatically" or Bilinear? OR some other setting?

You NEVER EVER want to resample. OK, that's a little extreme, but just a little. For example when post a photo here on the forum I make a duplicate and resample it down to about 1000 x 700 pixels -- scren display. But that's a dupe for display. My original is not getting resampled NEVER.

Joe

Wait, so the box SHOULDN'T be checked?

Joe

Joe

I'm shooting on a Canon Mark IV - so I believe its 6720 X 4480 - so if i check all the photos from the session and they are all 6720 X 4480, then I am good to go, correct?

Correct. Consider that you may have cropped a photo and so it could 5000 x 3300 or something. That's fine. If you see a photo that's 1000 x 700 or less then you've got a problem.

Joe

Wait, so the box SHOULDN'T be checked?

NEVER!!! check that box! Unless like I said you're prepping a duplicate to put on th web or something.

Joe

Most reactions

Back