7D or 50D searched and still lost

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by user3977, Jul 14, 2010.

1. user3977

user3977 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    so, here is my issue. i have an xti that i got from bestbuy. i got the accidental protection plan on it and well it is going to be replaced instead of repaired. i will be getting a credit on gift card for the purchase price and i have some cash. so 50D or 7D is my issue. i really think video is just a fancy addon that is really not needed in a slr. anyway the new iphone 4 takes care of video for what i may want on the fly kinda thing. i could get the t2i and spend the money on an extra lens, god knows i need to upgrade the glass. but the issue with that is that i have little over 50g of memory cards and do not want to buy all new SD cards to replace my cf ones. i know there is rumors about a 69D soon but who knows. any suggestions from people that have both would be great. oh and about me, i like to shoot nature and the family life.

2. iAstonish

iAstonish TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 7d is a better camera than the 50d from what I have heard/read. If you have the money to justify that purchase, then go for it. The 7d will last you a long time.

3. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Best tip you will ever get:

Flip a coin

Heads = 7d
    Tails = 50d

Not because when it lands you buy that one, but because when it is in mid air you know which side you want it to land on ;)

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing to consider, is what I've been hearing about the 7D.
    Because it's got so many mega pixels crammed onto the APS-C sized sensor, it really requires very good lenses to take advantage of it. In other words, the cheaper lenses don't have the resolving power to 'keep up with' the high resolution sensor.

I don't know if that means you would get sub-par results with regular lenses, or if you just don't get the spectacular results that one might expect.

5. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You get sub-par results with regular lenses. Things like lateral CA are more pronounced and images appear overall softer. Downsampling them alleviates some or most of that but that's not why you buy an 18MP camera. You need good glass on a 7D if you're going to be printing above about 8x10.

6. user3977

user3977 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    ok, so a 7D and i have to get new glass. a 50D i can keep the glass i have and put the extra couple hundred towards new glass. either way i know its a step up from the xti. i would really like some input from others out there that have or had the 50D and now shot a 7D.

7. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

The 7d also has a better autofocusing. I have the 50D(only used 7d in the store) and somtimes wish I would have went with the 7d. But if you dont plan on spending just as much on the lenses for the 7d than maybe you should look at the 50d. Although you really need some decent glass for the 50d as well. Maybe look at the 50 F1.4 and 85 1.8 to go along with the bodies.

8. AlexL

AlexL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when I tested the 7D vs 50D, i liked the handling of the 7D a lot better and the video mode is fun. But i ended up getting the T2i.

9. rCOSIO

rCOSIO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am having this exact same debate ... I am considering buying a 7D or 50D .... or neither and new glass ... its just that I have so many clicks on my T1i and just want to upgrade .....

Question ... Big Mike was talking bout sensor .... the 50D is full frame and the 7D is not correct? ..... So far it seems that everyone is saying the 7D but need good glass .... any other thoughts?

10. DemonAstroth

DemonAstroth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Both bodies have APS-C sensors.

11. NaMcO

NaMcO TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am still a newbie, but after getting more into photography and if i had to make your choice, i'd definitely go the 7D path. Have fun with your current lenses, try to get the most of them while saving to buy the lens you're after. Like stated before, the 7D will last you a long time and it's an overall better camera.

12. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    User3977

I do not know if you have made the purchase yet, but here is what I would do.

I would hold off until the fall before I buy a camera body.

I would take a portion of the money and just buy a high quality lens. The lens I would purchase would work well for the type of photography you are interested in.
    The change of glass on your existing camera will give you some fun and hold off the "hunger pangs".

The fall is usually when the manufacturers come out with some changes. This way you do not purchase a body in July/August and then see a big item you may be more interested in come out in fall - which is exactly what I did in 2009.;):er: