7D or 50D searched and still lost

user3977

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so, here is my issue. i have an xti that i got from bestbuy. i got the accidental protection plan on it and well it is going to be replaced instead of repaired. i will be getting a credit on gift card for the purchase price and i have some cash. so 50D or 7D is my issue. i really think video is just a fancy addon that is really not needed in a slr. anyway the new iphone 4 takes care of video for what i may want on the fly kinda thing. i could get the t2i and spend the money on an extra lens, god knows i need to upgrade the glass. but the issue with that is that i have little over 50g of memory cards and do not want to buy all new SD cards to replace my cf ones. i know there is rumors about a 69D soon but who knows. any suggestions from people that have both would be great. oh and about me, i like to shoot nature and the family life.

The 7d is a better camera than the 50d from what I have heard/read. If you have the money to justify that purchase, then go for it. The 7d will last you a long time.

Best tip you will ever get:

Flip a coin

Heads = 7d
Tails = 50d

Not because when it lands you buy that one, but because when it is in mid air you know which side you want it to land on ;)

One thing to consider, is what I've been hearing about the 7D.
Because it's got so many mega pixels crammed onto the APS-C sized sensor, it really requires very good lenses to take advantage of it. In other words, the cheaper lenses don't have the resolving power to 'keep up with' the high resolution sensor.

I don't know if that means you would get sub-par results with regular lenses, or if you just don't get the spectacular results that one might expect.

I don't know if that means you would get sub-par results with regular lenses, or if you just don't get the spectacular results that one might expect.

You get sub-par results with regular lenses. Things like lateral CA are more pronounced and images appear overall softer. Downsampling them alleviates some or most of that but that's not why you buy an 18MP camera. You need good glass on a 7D if you're going to be printing above about 8x10.

ok, so a 7D and i have to get new glass. a 50D i can keep the glass i have and put the extra couple hundred towards new glass. either way i know its a step up from the xti. i would really like some input from others out there that have or had the 50D and now shot a 7D.

ok, so a 7D and i have to get new glass. a 50D i can keep the glass i have and put the extra couple hundred towards new glass. either way i know its a step up from the xti. i would really like some input from others out there that have or had the 50D and now shot a 7D.

The 7d also has a better autofocusing. I have the 50D(only used 7d in the store) and somtimes wish I would have went with the 7d. But if you dont plan on spending just as much on the lenses for the 7d than maybe you should look at the 50d. Although you really need some decent glass for the 50d as well. Maybe look at the 50 F1.4 and 85 1.8 to go along with the bodies.

when I tested the 7D vs 50D, i liked the handling of the 7D a lot better and the video mode is fun. But i ended up getting the T2i.

I am having this exact same debate ... I am considering buying a 7D or 50D .... or neither and new glass ... its just that I have so many clicks on my T1i and just want to upgrade .....

Question ... Big Mike was talking bout sensor .... the 50D is full frame and the 7D is not correct? ..... So far it seems that everyone is saying the 7D but need good glass .... any other thoughts?

I am still a newbie, but after getting more into photography and if i had to make your choice, i'd definitely go the 7D path. Have fun with your current lenses, try to get the most of them while saving to buy the lens you're after. Like stated before, the 7D will last you a long time and it's an overall better camera.

User3977

I do not know if you have made the purchase yet, but here is what I would do.

I would hold off until the fall before I buy a camera body.

I would take a portion of the money and just buy a high quality lens. The lens I would purchase would work well for the type of photography you are interested in.
The change of glass on your existing camera will give you some fun and hold off the "hunger pangs".

The fall is usually when the manufacturers come out with some changes. This way you do not purchase a body in July/August and then see a big item you may be more interested in come out in fall - which is exactly what I did in 2009.;):er:

Go for the 7D. You might not think you want video now, but I bet there will be sometime in the life of that camera when you would video! Plus you can use your lenses to up close video instead of those stupid iphone things.

no, no camera purchase yet. not sure if i said this or not but i got the xti from bestbuy and it is currently in for repair thanks to the warranty they offer. if they cant or decide not to fix it then i have that money plus 800, so about 1300 to spend. wife might give me a little too. i was there today looking at the t2i and well it might be worth it to get that and a new lens. near me there is no where that i can hold a 7D but i did get to hold the 50D and i just love the weight and size compared to the xti. agh so many choices.

ok so i have been looking around. i think im going to wait till fall like suggested and see if canon brings out a 60D. for the time being im going to do as suggested again and just get a new lense. if you look at my sig you can see what i have. i like outdoor photography and kids. i am looking at maybe a 50mm 1.8 just to keep me busy. i would love to get the 10-22 as i have rented it once and did not take it of the camera for 2 days and 10g of pictures. any suggestions? and the kit lens i have in sig is a kit lens from my film days not a digital lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back