7D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by papatooth, Jan 24, 2010.

1. papatooth

papatooth TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has anybody used/bought the Canon 7D, any thoughts? Do you have the battery grip with it? does the grip make a difference? Have you shot anything that i can see on flickr?

I have the Rebel T1I and I want better picture quality, To much noise in the rebel, it give my pictures a painted look which sometimes is cool but not always.

2. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a good friend that has one. I've shot it. IQ wise it's probably not much better than your T1i. The AF system is vastly superior to your T1i, but unless you shoot action/sports this won't mean much to you.

Here are some flickr pics:

Flickr: Canon 7D Digital SLR

Here are some high ISO test pics from a review:

Canon EOS 7D review: High ISO JPEG Noise results, Canon 7D vs 50D vs 5D Mark II vs Nikon D300s | Cameralabs

I'm not sure what difference you're looking for in a grip. Does it make a difference in how the camera works? Yes. Will you like it? I don't know. You'll have to play with one.

3. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^^
    It might be my eyes but judging by the ISO test between the 50D 7D and 5DmkII, I'd say the 50D out performs the 7D...

4. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Come on Tim. It does not. That is a Nikon thing. All the grip does is give you twice the battery operating time and duplicate controls for portrait orientation.

5. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I wish it was true, since I own a 50D, but every other pic test I've seen says otherwise.

6. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In practical application, I've noticed having to deal with more color noise with the 50D files and more luminance noise with the 7D, which I think those charts lend themselves to (the 50D images almost become 'warmer' as the ISO gets higher). When it comes to print, though, any differences become highly negligible, honestly, and add in some decent noise-attenuating program (I use noiseware pro, personally), and both can generate usable images up to 3200 and I'm about 50/50 with getting good stuff at 6400 with the 7D.

To the OP:

You'd probably be best of initially investing in a good NR program (there are many). It's way cheaper than dropping 17 bones on a new body for an incremental upgrade in the processor (they both use DIGIC IV processors, the 7D has 2 but that only really buys you speed). You're setting yourself up for disappointment (though you'll not be disappointed by any of the other features, I can assure you).

Unless you're shooting in a lot of low light, the 7D won't buy you terribly much in terms of IQ. It's way cleaner up to 800 and you have the option to adjust your ISO in 3rds of stops (or half stops, I believe) but it, but 1600+ you're probably going to have to deal with (or accept) the noise in some form.

I only upload web-res files to my flickr account so these don't lend themselves to pixel-peeping, but these are all shot with the 7D,some as high as 3200ISO:

Flickr: ToddMcKimmey's Photostream

7. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Putting duplicate buttons on the south end of the body does change how it functions. I wasn't talking about increasing the fps. :D

8. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL......if you say so.......same damn thing to me.