7d2 stuff

I'm not 100% sure you'd have to change the Sigma 50. That may possibly work on FF. I'm pretty sure that the Tokina is a crop lens.

Hey, if you've got the money, the 1Dx is the bomb for canon. Get it and a 50mm f/1.4 or f 1.2 and go on your trip.

Yeah I'm shooting the Northern Lights so I need the fastest wide-angle lens on a camera with phenomenal ISO performance. I went to Alaska with my wife last year to shoot the lights armed with my T2i and the Tokina, talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight. I was so bitterly disappointed with the sheer amount of noise in all my Northern Lights pictures. Soft and noisy.

I'm not 100% sure you'd have to change the Sigma 50. That may possibly work on FF. I'm pretty sure that the Tokina is a crop lens.

Hey, if you've got the money, the 1Dx is the bomb for canon. Get it and a 50mm f/1.4 or f 1.2 and go on your trip.

The Tokina is in fact a DX lens, but will work at 16mm on a FX body with no vignetting. I swear--tried it on my D800. [emoji106][emoji106] which iteration is the sigma? The art? Or non-art?

Jake

From the reading I've done, I believe Canons tend to be the better low light camera with higher ISO performance. Therefore they suit the photography that I do better than Nikons.

This is totally opposite of everything I have read and seen in almost all my days (3 years) of camera geekness.

Be sure of what it really is you need and want.

The Tokina is in fact a DX lens, but will work at 16mm on a FX body with no vignetting. I swear--tried it on my D800. [emoji106][emoji106] which iteration is the sigma? The art? Or non-art?

Jake

Thanks Jake. I have the non-art version.

Jake

Thanks Jake. I have the non-art version.

DP review says it's a FX lens. So you could definitely rent a 6D and see how you like it.

DP review says it's a FX lens. So you could definitely rent a 6D and see how you like it.

The economics of renting a DSLR for the trip don't make sense unfortunately. Given that I am in Iceland for a long time, the total cost of renting the camera offsets the depreciation in value of a 7D Mark ii and 6D were I to buy either. I think the best options are:

1. 7D Mark ii - Cheapest option, crop sensor so no definitely no lens issues, high resale value when I sell it on the announcement of the 5D Mark iv, but isn't geared towards landscape photography
2. 6D - Marginally more expensive than the 7D Mark ii, possible lens issues meaning new glass, depreciation should be minimal on announcement of 5D Mark ii, definitely geared towards landscape photography
3. 5D Mark iii - Most suitable camera for the job but will suffer massive depreciation on announcement of the 5D Mark iv, will also need new glass
4. 1DX - Uber expensive option but a fundamental solution to the problem

The economics of renting a DSLR for the trip don't make sense unfortunately. Given that I am in Iceland for a long time, the total cost of renting the camera offsets the depreciation in value of a 7D Mark ii and 6D were I to buy either. I think the best options are:

1. 7D Mark ii - Cheapest option, crop sensor so no definitely no lens issues, high resale value when I sell it on the announcement of the 5D Mark iv, but isn't geared towards landscape photography
2. 6D - Marginally more expensive than the 7D Mark ii, possible lens issues meaning new glass, depreciation should be minimal on announcement of 5D Mark ii, definitely geared towards landscape photography
3. 5D Mark iii - Most suitable camera for the job but will suffer massive depreciation on announcement of the 5D Mark iv, will also need new glass
4. 1DX - Uber expensive option but a fundamental solution to the problem

Go for the 7D2, then sell it to me when you buy the MK IV :1219: Just kidding. If your budget allows it, get the 1DX. There really is only one camera in that class imo.

If you're buying a camera with the main goal of shooting landscapes, I'm not sure the 1DX is really your best choice. It is very expensive, very heavy, and a lot more camera than you need.

I think the 6d is probably the best camera for your situation. It gives you full frame, which I think is important because you're shooting landscapes and need wider angles. I've always heard that the 6d performs as well, if not better than, the 5diii in low light, too. I think the 5d is also more camera than you need to shoot landscapes.

The research I’ve done on that Nikon D750 suggests that it is truly a beast of a camera, it is very new and so does represent a fundamental long-term solution for me. The only issue I have is that I’m lead to believe that Canons are a lot more user-friendly and intuitive than Nikons. I’ve never used a Nikon, I’ve been with Canon for the last decade.

1DX probably is more camera than I need. The 6D seems like a great option, but that also will be getting a refresh within the next 6 months…

TIL:
  • The 7DmII takes sharp pictures.
  • The build quality is feels good
  • Canon shooters are impressed by finally being able to shoot at 1000iso

So wait for all the refresh systems, hold off because something is going to depreciate and never buy an upgrade camera. Then you are in the same boat and never go anywhere.

Last edited:
So wait for all the refresh systems, hold off because something is going to depreciate and never buy a upgrade camera. Then you are in the same boat and never go anywhere.
Exactly! Kind of like waiting to have kids until you can afford them!! :801:

I think you've misread my posts. Regardless, let me clarify my situation. This camera that I am going to buy will represent my main body for the next 5+ years minimum, meaning that I need to make the best possible choice based on currently available information. We're not talking about iPhones here that get refreshed before you've un-boxed the latest one, and it makes no sense at all to buy a DSLR that will depreciate horribly and become obsolete only months from now because there is a refresh right around the corner. If I buy a camera now I want to make sure that it is the best in its line for at least a few years. Ordinarily I would just wait, but I have a very big vacation in Iceland coming up and I need something considerably better than my 4 year old Rebel T2i.

It is all moot now anyway, I have found the perfect solution, the Nikon D810, I'm going to buy it right now :allteeth:

Most reactions

Back