7d2 stuff

jaomul said:
A member on the Canon forum says dpp is relevant for the 7d2 now, and has done 7d vs 7d2 comparison maintaining 1/2 to 2/3 stop improvement in iso. Not sure how scientific the comparison is

Well, if that is true, just a half stop to a two-third stop improvement in ISO performance, that is a pathetic improvement over a span of six years. Maybe some day Canon will move its sensor fabrication technology into the later part of the prior decade....as Sony and as Toshiba have done. I still want to see some VALID and RIGOROUS tests of the 7D-II's sensor performance. I wasn't swayed by the gushing I saw on the Scott Kelby video, and ALL of the the photos I have seen so far have been underwhelming.

I saw Matt granger's Photokina samples shot with the model and the 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM lens, and half the frames were out of focus; one of the dangers of using a macro at portrait distance. I have seen the London acrobats stuff shot on an overcast day....meh...

LET'S SEE SOME DECENT IMAGES from this thing! Or is the idea to gather up as many pre-orders as possible, and then ship them allllll out in one big slug, and try and get them delivered and sold on days 1,2,and 3? That is the way absolutely horrible Hollywood movies are handled...endless promos, hype for months on end, then one weekend of sales in an effort to recoup the budget costs, then into the toilet.

Last edited:
I am 100% convinced the camera will SUCK. Thank goodness for choices and passion.

Can't tell if you are being serious or not...

I find it very suspicious that this camera is being given a two-month pre-order period, and that "final, production" images are not yet available for a camera that has been six years in the making. I find it highly unorthodox that Canon has no raw converter software available yet. Both Canon and Nikon have each had disastrous camera launches of dud products: Nikon first with the D2h, then Canon a few years later with the bad-focusing 1D Mark III. I'm tired of these excuses: It's pre-production. All these were shot JPEG, there's no way I can convert RAWs. The final camera will be better.

I am starting to wonder about this camera's actual performance capabilities. Something seems just "wrong" about how this thing has been under wraps to such an extent. This thing is supposed to be out in November. Soooo--let's see what it can REALLY do, damnit!

I'm totally not serious. I seriously hope this thing is in my hands within a couple of weeks. There is a lake near that fish are starting to be stocked and my understanding is the Osprey put on quite a show. Exactly the reason I purchased it for - the af system and tracking options. It should be a significant jump from my 60d. Getting pretty much the same af system that the 1dx has for $1800 bucks does the trick for me. Different story if I was into shooting landscapes or people in pretty dresses and tuxedos.

As for the image quality stuff - I don't really get it. Maybe because my eyes are 50 years old. I see fantastic photos all over the webs produced by even Canons old sensor cameras. I guess it really depends on how well you can see or what you want out of it. This is what I want out of it Flickr: bmse's Photostream I have no clue what the dynamic range is of his 7dmk1 or how much he does in post etc., but he produces the kind of results I would like to produce. They may not be great, but they are good enough for me.

Yeah...his pics are good. Everything is front-lighted in bright sun, and has about a 3:1 lighting ratio, perhaps 4:1 on super-sunny days. He puts the sun at his back, the way they recommended in the 1880's.Bird-shooter standard lighting. It's the standard way to shoot birds. It's almost all subject matter that makes the shots look good.

His Large size images are 1,024 pixels wide x 683 tall. SO, if what you want is 0.69 megapixel images, then whatever he's shooting is plenty good. Less than one-megapixel images. Anything will be fine for that.

Where I live, it's dark much of the year. RIght now at 12:30 in the afternoon, the exposure on my 5D classic is 1/100 second at f/4. By extension, I'm dead in the water on action without a clean ISO 3,200 or better here in Oregon for the next few months.

If you live in California and shoot along the coast, sure, whatever, you don't really need a very good sensor. Dope out the exposures from f/4 at 1/100 at ISO 640 today (meaning, extending them up to f/2.8 and then down to say...oh...."f/6.3").

Last edited:
I think it's a great upgrade for Jack! It will do fantastic for what you're wanting it for.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Yup - try to pinpoint your needs and get what works for you. Hopefully work around the shortcomings.

We do have our June gloom days down here. It aint always Sunny Southern California. I will have to take my lumps.

Heck, if I lived in the PNW I'd be doing landscapes like Majeed. Well, maybe not. A bit too old and rickety to be climbing and hiking to attempt to get shots like his.

I did watch a Scott Kelby video on YouTube about the 7D II. Canon loaned him a couple of pre-production bodies. He gushes on about the camera performance and it's ISO performance. He could only show JPEG images since nobody actually has a RAW converter for a camera that isn't even shipping yet. But he did show some images that he did at very high ISOs.

We won't know what it does until it "ships" and people can do some testing.

Of course we will not be reading "scores" from DxO. Those guys suffer from delusions of adequacy.

The research I’ve done on that Nikon D750 suggests that it is truly a beast of a camera, it is very new and so does represent a fundamental long-term solution for me. The only issue I have is that I’m lead to believe that Canons are a lot more user-friendly and intuitive than Nikons. I’ve never used a Nikon, I’ve been with Canon for the last decade.

1DX probably is more camera than I need. The 6D seems like a great option, but that also will be getting a refresh within the next 6 months…
I just got the D750 and while I still cant give you any serious feedback on it as its too new I can tell you getting it will probably solve all your problems!!!

Not trying to move you from Canon to Nikon, just a suggestion.
I said the 6D is the right choice for you and I still think it is, you cant live your life waiting for the next big thing.
In today reality every few months the next BIG things comes out and honestly there is very little REAL improvement from one model to another.
If you are not willing to move to Nikon then go for the 6D, it will still be a good camera after it will be replaced, it will still give you all you need!
Who said it will be replaced in 6 months ?
I promiss yuo Canon will not share this info with anybody, it might be 3 months or another year.
Trust me you will drive yourself nuts in choosing what camera to buy this way, just make your mind and pull the trigger, this really isnt so complicated.

Good luck and let us know what you chose.

He said he chose the D810. That should make him a happy camper for a while and automatically a great photographer. :)

Okay......................... I'm really starting to lick my chops over the 7DII. :1219:

Z-7d2-withBattGrip-front-PR.JPG

Z-7d2-beauty.JPG

Last edited:
More stuff.

I plan on ripping mine apart soon. LensRentals.com - Cracking Open the 7D II

A little more stuff

I took a shot of one of my cats at iso 16,000 and for me it was impressive. I'm sure for others it won't be, but whatever. LOL

Will maybe post that and a couple of others tonight if I don't get caught up in an NBA game or two.

I love my 6D. Great landscape camera and it's amazing in low light. Using the 11-16 at 16mm on full frame you'll lose a bit of image quality but it works. You could also look at the tokina 16-28, it's what I switched to from the 11-16 once I moved to full frame and it's amazing. In my opinion it's sharper than the 11-16.

Most reactions

Back