$8,000 to spend? What would you get?

I see a lot of Nikkon fans here, is there something wrong with Canon I dont know about, Love the way it feels in my hand and the controls seem great, I cant imagine that one company has a huge technology difference over the other in this day and age.

There is nothing wrong with Canon - we just have some vocal nikon fans who dun like canon stuff here ;)
That and Nikon is generally considered to be on the up side for body quality at present - but honestly go back a few years and canon were top - and give it a few more years and heck sony could be top. Honestly there is nothing you can do with a Nikon that you can't do just as well with a Canon and vis versa. There are some differences in the gear line-ups but you've got to be getting to a very picky stage and has some very well defined criteria before it really becomes a major reason to jump ship.

I see a lot of Nikkon fans here, is there something wrong with Canon I dont know about, Love the way it feels in my hand and the controls seem great, I cant imagine that one company has a huge technology difference over the other in this day and age.

The most recent nikon bodies do best their canon counterparts, IMHO. And Nikon bodies are generally cheaper for the same or better quality. Glass wise, each company has their strengths and weaknesses. I think Canon is better on their big boy telephotos (ie 300 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 mkII), while Nikon is better on their top of the line mid range zooms and primes.

I say this as somebody who uses both brands on a day to day basis, as for work my studio uses canon, and my personal cameras are nikon.

All else being equal, I'd say:

D4 > 1DX
D800 > 5DIII
D600 > 6D
D7000 >> 60D
7D > D300s
D5100 > T2i, T3i
D3200 > T1i, T2i

SOme of these are really close, and really more a preference thing (D4 v. 1DX, 7D v. D300s), but a lot of them aren't really even as close as people make them out to be. THe 60D is definitely angled to be the competitor to the D7000, and it's a flat out slaughter between those two by any objective measure.

I use the 7D daily for work, and I love it, but the fact that it costs something like 40% more than a D7000, and I can't clearly say the 7D is clearly a better camera, and in fact could argue that the D7000 is better, isn't good sign for the current state of affairs of Canon's bodies. Nikon just flat out has a sensor advantage over Canon at the moment. Now, for certain types of photography, this isn't as big of a deal, but for certain types (wildlife, low light wedding) it certainly is a huge deal. I've had at least some experience with the bodies above, and as you can see, even putting ergonomics aside, I think overall Nikon has a pretty good advantage when it comes to bodies right now. Especially when you take price into consideration.

Just as an aside, I saw the results of your 70-200/2.8 lens rental shoot, and you asked a lot of questions about flash and such in another thread before the shoot, but you came back with decent images for rented gear. Needed a bit of refinement on posing maybe, but I thought your skill level and photographic knowledge and interest shone through...SO....I know you're not a total doof...Just had to throw that in there for the crowd that's ready to lynch you for wanting some great gear.

$8k sounds like a lot to many people. Yes, it is not inconsiderable, but let me say this: high-end glass is NOT a bad investment, and buying it "now", as opposed to "later" is actually a smart move for the guy who is only 28 years old...an exotic telephoto that is now $11,000...was only $7800 just a FEW years ago...and an $8k kit is not in any way "extravagant" in the context of a professional photographer's tool set...not at all. This chit is expensive! A decent lens set costs at LEAST $4800, and that is not even a "complete" kit of lenses.

Derrel does make a very good point that is worth considering - esp for the most expensive glass.

Just as an aside, I saw the results of your 70-200/2.8 lens rental shoot, and you asked a lot of questions about flash and such in another thread before the shoot, but you came back with decent images for rented gear. Needed a bit of refinement on posing maybe, but I thought your skill level and photographic knowledge and interest shone through...SO....I know you're not a total doof...Just had to throw that in there for the crowd that's ready to lynch you for wanting some great gear.

$8k sounds like a lot to many people. Yes, it is not inconsiderable, but let me say this: high-end glass is NOT a bad investment, and buying it "now", as opposed to "later" is actually a smart move for the guy who is only 28 years old...an exotic telephoto that is now $11,000...was only $7800 just a FEW years ago...and an $8k kit is not in any way "extravagant" in the context of a professional photographer's tool set...not at all. This chit is expensive! A decent lens set costs at LEAST $4800, and that is not even a "complete" kit of lenses.

thanks man, I actually just found out what I rented was the 70-200 IS V1 no the V2, which is good and bad...

good cause i liked it and can save a lot of money by buying the V1
bad cause I really wanna know what the V2 is all about now and from what I read there is quite the difference

:lol: at all the suggestions about equity and talent and what he should be asking instead of what he is actually asking...

to answer your original question.

With that kind of money, I'd get another D3s, 85 1.4, and maybe a 70-200 2.8.

so I'm guessing the telephoto portion of this kit is now taken care of with a MkI 70-200 f/2.8?

I have done one wedding, I liked it, I have another coming up in 2013, not 100% sure i want to advertise as a wedding photographer yet though, need to do a few to make sure i like it/its worth it.
I've spend the last little bit of money I left laying on the table: INSURANCE and a membership to PPA. I really think you will keep going in a professional manner from what you have showed and discussed so far in the forum.
I'd also seriously think about a trip to WPPi or ImagingUSA this year. It will educate you in a MILLION ways. I prefer WPPI for the convention, but I feel their membership (which comes with convention purchase) is kind of useless. PPA's membership is worth FAR more than WPPI's. There is just much MORE offering in free classes at WPPI. And I usually find it cheaper to book to Vegas than wherever IUSA is at each year. Atlanta this year.
I have a coupon code for WPPI that reduces it to about $99 I think for the full monty (not master classes.) It's usually about $350. You can attend every platform class you can get to and there are some awesome ones. Wedding Photography Courses | Photography Strategies I can usually pull off the trip to Vegas, hotel and everything for under a grand. Always share a room with other photog's and it works well! If you're going to go stay at Hooters. Cheap ass rooms right across from the MGM.

I have done one wedding, I liked it, I have another coming up in 2013, not 100% sure i want to advertise as a wedding photographer yet though, need to do a few to make sure i like it/its worth it.
I've spend the last little bit of money I left laying on the table: INSURANCE and a membership to PPA. I really think you will keep going in a professional manner from what you have showed and discussed so far in the forum.
I'd also seriously think about a trip to WPPi or ImagingUSA this year. It will educate you in a MILLION ways. I prefer WPPI for the convention, but I feel their membership (which comes with convention purchase) is kind of useless. PPA's membership is worth FAR more than WPPI's. There is just much MORE offering in free classes at WPPI. And I usually find it cheaper to book to Vegas than wherever IUSA is at each year. Atlanta this year.
I have a coupon code for WPPI that reduces it to about $99 I think for the full monty (not master classes.) It's usually about $350. You can attend every platform class you can get to and there are some awesome ones. Wedding Photography Courses | Photography Strategies I can usually pull off the trip to Vegas, hotel and everything for under a grand. Always share a room with other photog's and it works well! If you're going to go stay at Hooters. Cheap ass rooms right across from the MGM.

this would be awesome in so many ways, besides attending the courses I always wanted to go to Vegas! I live in NH and go to NY a lot, is there something comaprable in NYC?

C1M claims to be the best courses you can get North of NYC.

... and yes, insurance is a must have in the near future.

Hit some of the CreativeLive on-line seminars...pretty cool...and FREE to watch, $99 for three-day, 18-hour recordings you download, both high-rez and mobile-device sized files...it ain't Vegas, but they do have some pretty cool educational seminars...

Canon 7D - $1000 used
70-200 2.8L IS II used $1500 (?)
7D Battery pack - $150
5 16gb sd cards - $ 250 (?)
2 canon 580 speedlites ($1000)
2 pocket wizzrds ($300)
2 stands and umbrellas and mounts ($200)

$4400

keep the t2i as a bakup and the 50mm 1.8 for now.

The wife is sending me to the 2nd C1M course for xmas.

I made my list.....

just having some fun and seeing what other people would buy, are you telling me you never took advice before?
Well, c'mon! This is show and tell here! Let's see!

are you asking to see my list? I made it back on page 1 of this thread.
Sorry... Missed it.

My 2cents on your list: I'd UPGRADE if you are going to upgrade body. Go for the 6D. The 7D is an upgrade, but if you've got the money to upgrade just do it. You'll want to do it again later
The 7D doesn't use SD cards. You need CF cards with it. You can get about 4 GOOD ones within your budget or 5 decent ones. Not bad
Why pocket wizards? The 7D or 6D can be used as a commander with the 580EX and above. You could have a good reason for the wizards though? OR if you don't want to use the camera as the commander why not the Canon ST-E2 and save you $75 there?

Business classes.

as a side note, I'm super pumped for IUSA this year being in Atlanta.

this would be awesome in so many ways, besides attending the courses I always wanted to go to Vegas! I live in NH and go to NY a lot, is there something comaprable in NYC?

C1M claims to be the best courses you can get North of NYC.

... and yes, insurance is a must have in the near future.

Yeah. Every October PhotoPlus is in NYC. Smaller, but still pretty decent. JUST wrapped up a week or so ago. PhotoPlus International Expo + Conference | Trade Show | PhotoPlus Expo
Costs me more to go to PhotoPlus and I even stay with a friend in the city. The tolls going into and out of the city are MURDER and unless you are staying IN the city it's a PITA to get in and out, you pay the tolls daily... If you stay in the city you pay PRIME hotels, so you aren't going to win for losing there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back