$8,000 to spend? What would you get?

no reason on the pocket wizard, lack of knowledge there....

since my camera deosnt have commander i guess I dont know much about it, ill head over to youtube :)

the only thing I dont like about the ST-E2 is that it is IR, doesnt it have to be in LOS (line of sight) for it to work?

yeah I have a place to stay in upstate NY and just take the train down to Grand central for $25 round trip, tolls are murder. I am pissed I just missed it.

no reason on the pocket wizard, lack of knowledge there....

since my camera deosnt have commander i guess I dont know much about it, ill head over to youtube :)

the only thing I dont like about the ST-E2 is that it is IR, doesnt it have to be in LOS (line of sight) for it to work?
I've personally never had a line of sight issue, but it is possible. I have one event that I have strobes up in the corners of the arena and I am working with cheap ass triggers/receivers and I haven't had a problem-I am sure I could. I am also sure I am probably careful to place my equipment in sight without even thinking about it.

Just go with the 600EX RT and the 6D. Radio transmitter built in

If you have to ask, then you are not ready.

I made my list.....

just having some fun and seeing what other people would buy, are you telling me you never took advice before?

So really there is no point to this thread at all other than to brag about having a few grand to spend on gear.

for a pointless thread, it sure got a lot of views and replies. i wish the wedding photos I posted the other day got this much attention!
i did give my list for the OP though, if I had that budget.

these threads are pointless, to some people here, its the same thing as saying, what would you do if you won de lottery, everybody thing they are doing the right thing.

take the 8k and blow it on strippers, much more fun.

Hey Sac- since you're up north, take a look at Mystic Seminars which is wedding related. Really good stuff. Mystic Seminars

If *I* had 8K to spend, I'd either get a D4 or D800 and a good 50mm, or, and more likely, a used P25 and figure out what body to use later.

Weird how things play out. I got 10 grand worth of photo equipment and like $1200 worth of car, so naturally I want to get a better car and was even thinking about selling some of my equipment at times. You, on the other hand, have a nice car and you want to sell that to get photo equipment.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do, but I think as long as you have a DSLR and not a P&S camera, I think car > photo gear because there is a HUGE difference from point and shoot and something like a Rebel, especially rebel with decent glass. But there is a LOT less IQ difference between 5D 3 or 7D and that rebel vs rebel and point and shoot.

Just my 2 cents though.

But there is a LOT less IQ difference between 5D 3 or 7D and that rebel vs rebel and point and shoot.

We're getting to a point now where cameras are simply again a "box to keep light out". While certainly IQ differences do exist, at reasonable ISO and similar format, over the past five years image quality isn't going to be significant between a $1000 DSLR and a $5000 DSLR. What makes a great DSLR is the viewfinder, the AF system, the overall build quality, drive speed and low light performance.

Err, if somebody would force me to buy gear for 8k right now, I would probably buy a lot of Zeiss for Nikon F glass in hope it will keep its value, until I find out which camera I actually want to be the successor of my D5100.

I'd start a retirement fund while you're still young enough to think that selling your car and blowing the money on camera gear is a good idea.
Okay, now thats a stupid idea.

Retirement fund ?

After the crisis already killed so many of these ?

I'd rather get a good camera (or really anything) instead.

My priorities are my son's future, especially being that he may need special care as an adult, my wife's education and gear.

My retirement plan is a steady supply of psychedelic drugs.

Anyways, I own a 2008 Subaru WRX that has about $8k equity and I am thinking about selling it, buying a cheaper car and using the equity to invest in photography equipment.

I haven't read any further, but this idea doesn't have a solid foundation IMO. Even after co pious amounts of cannabis, I would still consider this is not a good idea. I drive a 2002 Civic Si with 170K miles on it and expect to put at least another 100K on it. If it's paid for or nearly so, your are in the bonus round. Don't screw it up with with visions of candy canes, sugar plums or camera gear.

Most reactions

Back