8 bit 16 bit camera to PSE8 editor

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so I had my ACR open editted an image etc but it was in 16 bit. Opened the image in PSE8 editor to do final edit etc but when I go to save as it does not have jpeg as a file format. Is this because of the 16bit? Sorry I know if I look long enough I will probably find the answer but I know that some of you guys are ACR/PS genius'es and I thought I would ask while I keep looking.

So I have gone back and opened the image again but it now opens it right in the editor with my applied edits. And wont allow me to change it to jpeg unless I go back in start from scratch and change to 8 bit before I open it in pSe8 main editor. Just wondering if someone could explain this again to me since Im being thickheaded.

Last edited:
JPEG files are 8 bit only, that's why you can't save a 16 bit file as JPEG.

There are some advantages to doing your editing in 16 bit mode, but it's not necessarily a huge difference, many people wouldn't even notice.

Either way, if you are going to work in 16 bit mode, you need to change it to 8 bit before doing some things, like saving to JPEG for example.

You shouldn't have to start over, you should be able to just convert it from 16 bit to 8 bit. In Photoshop, it's under the 'Image' menu, then the 'Mode' sub menu. It should be the same in PSE.

Thanks Mike, one other quick question. So KmH let me know that ACR has a couple new versions since mine and I cant see in ACR where you check for updates and when I check is PSE8 says no updates available. Any clue on how to update just ACR? Thanks for you help and that makes sense. Silly Dee.

In the PSE8 workspace click on Help > Updates and it will update ACR if any updates apply as long as you are connected to the Internet.

The way it works is you can only update so far, based on which version of Photoshop you have.

The current ACR for CS5 is 6.1. Those with CS4 can't update beyond ACR 5.7. If they want to use ACR 6.1, they have to buy the upgrade to CS5.

In PSE 8 if you click on Image > Mode you can go down and select, 8 bit mode.

Most reactions

Back