8 things you should do, but don't

I like Thom Hogan. Good idea to post that here, thanks.

On four it seems like persons have a complex sometimes about being seen with a tripod. I have even noticed that at sometimes friends and family are embarrassed by even being with someone else who is using a tripod.

When I am hiking or walking about I usually leave it off of my bag and in hand. I usually have it folded up but leave the legs extended. Then you are talking even less then 20 seconds to get it ready for a shot.

Nice list, thanks for sharing.

I recommend particular attention to #'s 4, 7, and 8:

Things you Should Do as a Photographer but Don't

Keith, sorry but I found the whole thing kind of redundant. :D

OH WAIT..............That's because those are the things that we learned 40 years ago when I got into 35mm film photography. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously, A very good post. Some real basics that seem to have gotten lost with the digital explosion. :thumbup:

The only thing I wish Thom had included was, learn how to hold your gear properly, and practice holding your gear steadily. Prepare for the shot just like you were preparing to shoot a firearm. Breath in, let out some breath, hold it and trip the shutter release. A little practice can go a long way in getting sharper images.

Last edited:
I feel like a tripod limits my freedom to shift around to find the optimal angle. IS lenses are much easier :D

I feel like a tripod limits my freedom to shift around to find the optimal angle. IS lenses are much easier :D
I use a quick disconnect plate, grab the camera, go find an alternative framing I like, then go back and get the tripod and set it up in the new position.

Not so much fun as essential to having more than just a passing aquaintance with your gear and it's available features.

Like how to store a variety of custom white balances in a Nikon using the PRE feature, or reconfiguing the Fn button.

Most reactions

Back