80-200 2.8 Push Pull Locked Up

squirrels

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

My 80-200 push pull locked up at 80 last night. It's an old lens but still newish to me. I'm doing some wishful thinking that there is a focal length lock mechanism that I haven't learned about yet or found by google. Anybody had one of these and want to break it to me gently that the thing is broken?

Squirrels

Dang it. That's what I was afraid of. Wish I liked my local camera place.

Around a year and a half ago I bought a used 80-200 2.8 push pull from a local seller. The lens was in fairly rough shape, but optically was fantastic. The zoom was incredibly stiff, the focus would run smoothly through about 50% of it's range, and then all but stop the focus motor in my D7000. I picked it up for $100, and shortly after I got home the focus completely locked up, and the zoom was getting stiffer and stiffer to move. I sent it away to a camera repair shop about 2.5 hours drive from my home that specializes in old lenses. Since parts are no longer available for this lens he had to make due with trying to repair the broken/worn out pieces in an attempt to get it working again. When I received the lens back he had the focus working fabulously, and the zoom was working about 95%. My zoom works fairly smoothly from 80mm to about 170mm or so. The last few mm of travel to 200mm gets a little bit stiff. Consequently going the other way constitutes a firm push to get it out of 200mm, but after that it's fine again.

Too bad, I had one that I bought used and it produced some superb images. Never had a problem with lock up but I dropped it from about 6 feet up and it was a gone pecan. I couldn't find a used one but found the two touch version and it is just as good. I am old school though and I have always loved the push pull.

Thanks guys! I'm in Virginia. Thinking about shipping it back to KEH for them to work on it. Man, I loved that lens over the breif time we've had together. Or maybe I can ship it to Mr. Photo's guy. Sniff!

How new is "newish?" If you bought it from KEH within the last six months or so, I'd definitely at least contact them and talk to them about it. You never know, they might at least fix it for you at their cost. Can't hurt to check into it!

Thanks guys! I'm in Virginia. Thinking about shipping it back to KEH for them to work on it. Man, I loved that lens over the breif time we've had together. Or maybe I can ship it to Mr. Photo's guy. Sniff!
Where in VA are you? There is a pretty good camera shop in Ashburn (Loudoun Cnty).

Most reactions

Back