80 year old - challenging

wildmaven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wildmaven.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This wonderful woman has Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. This is probably the last photograph of her that the family will have taken as her health is declining rapidly. She would not look at me. Whenever I would move to get a front view, she'd turn her head away. When she smiled, the Parkinson's disease made her face contort into a Joker-like smile. This picture was caught halfway to that smile.

Have any of you had to photograph the elderly? Are there any tips you can give?

878nvb8.jpg

What a sweet photograph that will no doubt be treasured by her family.
I'm sorry, I don't have any tips on the elderly, but I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy the photo and the story behind it.
Beautiful on both counts.

I think you did a good job considering the circumstances but my feedback is like this...

I think the crop isn't great because you cut off a part of her head.

The picture is also a little soft... and this is just my opinion but I don't think the angle is too flattering either.

With that being said..this photo is about sentiment more than technicality so beautiful capture.

Flat light is more flattering as there are no shadows to enhance wrinkles.
With her situation your best bet is to get candids, if she won't look at the camera shoot from the hip, use a mirrror and zoom lens.

Thank you soooooo much!!! :heart: I had no idea of her age when they booked her appointment. When her daughter asked "do you do seniors," I was thinking of seniors in HIGH SCHOOL! Needless to say, I was not prepared when she showed up, ha ha.

If this was my Grandma I would be extatic!

Honestly if I was photographing her I wouldn't of done it at the angle like that. But I REALLY like the end result of this photograph. You put a sparkle in her eye and there is a very gentle and kind feeling to this photo :)

I've photographed old (P.C.?) people before and I find that almost going with High Key if possible gives some really nice results...I'll post something if I ever remember.

Flat light is more flattering as there are no shadows to enhance wrinkles.
With her situation your best bet is to get candids, if she won't look at the camera shoot from the hip, use a mirrror and zoom lens.

yes, flat light is more flattering, but for most old people, wrinkles are part of what makes their personality in a photograph, so some direction on the light is just a plus in my book.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back