80mm XF OIS WR swirly bokeh?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After seeing these sample images, I expected some bubble bokeh and would love that but then saw some images on a Facebook group supposedly taken with the lens and they have that super swirly bokeh. If that's the case, color me disappointed. Definitely not what I want.

Bubble bokeh samples: Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro Lens Sample Images

Weirdly harsh (IMO) swirly bokeh: Fuji X Secrets

I would wait a couple weeks and then check out the images for this lens on the x photograhers website.

I would wait a couple weeks and then check out the images for this lens on the x photograhers website.

Which website is that?
X-Photographers

You can search by lens, camera, photograhers. It shows some amazing images and settings. I always go to here prior to lens purchase, then decide to rent one or buy.

Hey thanks! I usually just google search the lens name or do a search on Flickr by lens.

I won't be buying anything new for a while. Still have to restock the gear fund after the XT2, lenses and iPad purchases.

Looks bubbly to me. Swirl, to me, is more like those Ruskie Helios lenses or those pretzel lenses (Petzval). The cat image doesn't say bubbly or swirl to me ... maybe lousy. But those first images are damn sharp, very impressive.

Looks bubbly to me. Swirl, to me, is more like those Ruskie Helios lenses or those pretzel lenses (Petzval). The cat image doesn't say bubbly or swirl to me ... maybe lousy. But those first images are damn sharp, very impressive.

The "swirly" ones are in the Facebook post. I'm questioning if it's even from the same lens as in the other link.

What cat image?

it sure is an expensive lens....

to be honest...i love it in theory. a true macro lens in the native x-mount for fuji.
but...

Im seeing it for pre-order at $1200... pretty steep.
for that money i could get the 90mm f2 and a MF macro lens in some cheaper mount like m42 or canonFD, since im going to manual focus for macro anyway.
or i could get a used 50-140 f/2.8 and a MF macro lens.

@Gary A. Here's the image I was referencing on Flickr: XT2A4430

I don't care for that swirly bokeh at all. Very distracting for portraits, IMO. If this is how the 80mm bokeh is then I will change my plan and start looking for a used 90mm.

ahhhh ... a bit of distracting swirl there ... and it's from good ol' Rico.

Here's a portrait shot with the 60mm macro (no swirl).

_GA12247a-XL.jpg

It is expensive to be sure. If I had a need for such a lens I would probably go with the 100mm Tokina or something similar and adapt it. My 60 is all the macro I need and it goes to 1:1 with an extension ring.

I have the 90mm and the Zeiss 50mm macro (100% magnification), soooo the 80mm isn't all that appealing unless I dump Mary Lou's 60mm, give her my 50mm and double-down on the 80mm. ... It is very sharp ...

It is expensive to be sure. If I had a need for such a lens I would probably go with the 100mm Tokina or something similar and adapt it. My 60 is all the macro I need and it goes to 1:1 with an extension ring. I have no interest in bokeh. Never have. To me out of focus is just out of focus.

While I am a big AF fan, having MF for decades I love fast, precise AF ... But, I am fine with MF-ing macro, as MF and macro doesn't impair the photographic experience.

Most reactions

Back